- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement ProgramGood things happen when you prepare for graduate school with McNair. We help prepare you for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities.
526 5th Street
Cheney, WA 99004
Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program
Prepare effectively, go far, and enjoy the journey
We provide low-income, first-generation and/or underrepresented minority undergraduates with opportunities, such as faculty-led research projects, summer internships, professional seminars, academic counseling, mentorship, tutoring and other educational activities designed to prepare you for doctoral study. We work with you to develop and deliver competitive applications to secure admission and funding for enrollment in graduate programs. Read more about eligibility requirements.
Why you'll love preparing for graduate school with McNair
- You are at the center of all that McNair does; we define our success in your ability to fulfill your goals in education, career, community, and life.
- We create greater access to support services designed to build an environment where students succeed at their highest level.
- We develop robust mentoring connections with faculty and staff so that you can benefit from mentors' support, skills, wisdom, and coaching, resulting in greater productivity in research activity, conference presentation, pre-doctoral publication, and instructional development.
- We can meet your evolving community and societal needs through innovative programs and partnerships that make productive use of our federally funded resources so that we can extend your reach and impact.
We level the playing field by giving every McNair Scholar access to
scholarly activities and community engagement opportunities
It's all about your success
Our services offer you a wide range of benefits:
- Access to opportunities for federally funded research internships ($2,800) with a university faculty mentor whose research interests match yours
- Support from a professional McNair staff dedicated to promoting your scholarly success
- Access to a nationwide TRiO McNair Scholars Program network
- Assistance in presenting your research at Eastern's annual Graduate and Undergraduate Research & Creative Works Symposium and the National Conference for Undergraduate Research (NCUR), or other national conferences
- Feedback throughout the research and writing process
- Support throughout the graduate school application process
During the 2014-2015 academic year, 100% of the McNair cohort
received an acceptance from a graduate program
Our scholars love McNair
Alicia Peaker, McNair Scholar 2004
"As a McNair scholar, I had my first experiences with formal mentorship. The summer grant I received from McNair allowed me to focus on drafting a strong writing sample and preparing for the rigors of graduate education while working closely with a faculty mentor."
Check out what the current cohort has been up to
Read some of the McNair Scholars' research
Enjoy some tips on writing for the Graduate Record Exam
The TRiO EWU Ronald E. McNair Project is 90% federally-funded by Congress through
the U.S. Department of Education at $244,188 for 2012, and 10% EWU funded at $25,000.