- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Financial Aid and ScholarshipsThe Financial Aid and Scholarship Office helps you obtain funding for your higher education. Financial aid includes scholarships, grants, tuition waivers, work study and loans.
102 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Applying for Financial Aid
You must meet all of the basic eligibility requirements and complete the steps below to be considered for financial aid at Eastern Washington University.
Apply for Admission to EWU
- Undergraduate Students: Apply through Undergraduate Admissions. To be considered for priority funding, apply for admission by Feb. 15 for the following academic year and complete your FAFSA as noted below.
- Returning Students: If you have not attended EWU for more than three quarters, complete a Former Student Returning Form by Feb. 15 for the following academic year and complete your FAFSA as noted below.
- Graduate Students: Apply through Graduate Admissions. To be considered for priority funding, apply for admission by February 15 for the following academic year and complete your FAFSA as noted below.
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Be sure to file the correct FAFSA for the correct academic year. At EWU, the academic year runs from fall quarter through the following summer quarter.
Applying for Fall 2014 through Summer 2015
The 2014-2015 FAFSA will be available starting January 1, 2014. Use this FAFSA if applying for fall 2014 through summer 2015. Students applying by February 15, 2014 will receive priority consideration for available funding. The last day to file a 2014-2015 FAFSA is June 30, 2015.
Applying for Fall 2013 through Summer 2014
Use the 2013-2014 FAFSA if applying for fall 2013 through summer 2014. The last day to file a 2013-2014 FAFSA is June 30, 2014.
Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) Online
Using your Federal Student Aid PIN, you can check your financial aid application status, view your Student Aid Report (SAR) information, correct your application data, and electronically sign your applications at FAFSA on the Web. Parents can also use their PINs to sign their student's financial aid applications electronically. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) is available for viewing approximately one week after you complete and submit your application. Please review your SAR and make any necessary corrections. Keep a copy for your records; we will receive an electronic copy if you listed EWU as one of the receiving schools.
Respond to Verification Requests
Approximately one-third of all applications are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are selected, the EWU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office is required to verify the information submitted on your application. We will request a verification form and an IRS Tax Transcript (if you did not use the IRS data retrieval process, or changed the IRS data after you retrieved it). Respond immediately and include your name and EWU ID on each document you submit.
Review and Respond to Your Financial Aid Notification (FAN)
After your file is complete, you will receive an email from our office directing you to view your financial aid award on the EWU Portal. Please follow the steps outlined in the email to accept or reject each type of aid offered. If we do not hear from you, the offer may be subject to cancellation. You will be notified of all subsequent award revisions via your university-assigned e-mail account or by paper if you have not yet confirmed your intent to enroll.
If you are awarded a Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan, or Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), additional steps are necessary to obtain these loans.
Disbursement of Financial Aid Funds
The university will first apply your financial aid to your outstanding university charges. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to you on or after the first day of each quarter. You have the option of receiving your balance by: 1) direct deposit to a bank account or 2) by check sent to your mailing address on file with EWU. A check will automatically be mailed if you do not select direct deposit. You may update your address at any time on EagleNet. Additional information on financial aid disbursement is available in the Award Information and Instructions section.
FAFSA Application Tips
- File the correct FAFSA for the correct school year.
- Read the FAFSA instructions carefully as you complete the FAFSA on the Web.
- Make sure your Social Security Number is accurate.
- Use the exact name on your social security card. Notify the Social Security Administration if you change your name due to marriage or other reasons.
- Include your name and EWU ID on every document you send us.
- Use Eastern's school code (003775) to indicate that you want your FAFSA results sent to Eastern.
- Request a PIN and keep it with your records. If you are a dependent student, your parents may request PINs also.
- Make sure you have the appropriate electronic signatures (yourself and your parents, if applicable).
- Use your completed federal income tax form if possible, but do not delay completing your FAFSA if your tax return is not finished. Use estimated tax information if necessary.
- Keep copies of your federal income tax forms and other documents for your records.
- Remember to keep a copy of the confirmation number after filing your FAFSA on the Web. Your application is not complete until you click on "submit".
- Update EWU and correct your processed FAFSA whenever you have an address change. Address changes may be made on EagleNet at any time. We will send mail throughout the year to your mailing address.
- Reapply by the priority date each year. If you have a FAFSA on file from the previous year, use the FAFSA Renewal Application to prepopulate certain data elements.