"I touch the future. I teach." - Christa McAuliffe
Our mission is to prepare student-centered educators to be professionals, leaders, scholars, and practitioners.
What is the Bachelor of Arts in Education with the P-3 Teacher Certification
with Early Childhood Education Major?
Students who graduate from our program are eligible for P-3 (PreK-third grade) teacher licensure in the state of
Washington and will have gained the expertise and experience necessary for working with children ages 3 - 8 and
their families. Completion of the P-3 program will prepare students to work in Head Start, ECEAP, public and
private preschools, kindergarten, and up to third grade in the public school. The P-3 Early Childhood Education
Program is designed to enhance the skills and knowledge base of future early childhood educators through an
applied, field-based format. Our program foundation is based on principles of developmentally appropriate
practice, and universal design for learning. Coursework is aligned with Washington State Core Competencies
for Early Care and Education Professionals, the ECE Endorsement Competencies for the State of Washington
Professional Educator Standards Board, and the National Association for the Education of Young Children
Standards for Early Childhood Preparation Programs.
Why Should I Consider this Major?
The link between high-quality early childhood education programs and improved outcomes for children has
been well established through decades of research, and has been a springboard for putting the early childhood
field in the public spotlight. The open positions for P-3 teachers are only increasing. Washington's Early
Learning Plan outlines that by 2018-2019, 70% of ECEAP teachers will be required to have a bachelor's or
higher degree in the early childhood field. BY 2020-21, this requirement will pertain to 100% of ECEAP
teachers. The Department of Early Learning further states that by 2018-2019 there will be 1,112 Lead Teacher
positions needing to be filled, for which an ECE BA degree would be required.
P-3 Early Childhood Education
Students must have completed the following courses with a grade of 2.8 or higher prior to applying to the Teacher Education Program and have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 on the most recent 45 credits:
· ENGL 201 College Composition: Analysis, Research, and Documentation
· CMST 200 Introduction to Speech Communication
· MATH 211 Structure of Elementary Mathematics I
· Passed all 3 sections of the WEST B or submitted satisfactory SAT/ACT scores
Required Professional Education Core (57 credits)
· EDUC 200 Admission to the Teacher Education Program (1)
· EDUC 310 Literacy Methods, Management and Assessment in the Elementary School (4)
· EDUC 338 Language Arts Methods, Management and Assessment in the Elementary School (4)
· EDUC 340 Social Studies Methods, Management and Assessment in the Elementary School (4)
· EDUC 342 Science Methods, Management and Assessment in the Elementary School (4)
· MATH 212 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II (5)
· MTED 390 Methods for Teaching Elementary School Mathematics (5)
· PHED 390 Health and PE in Elementary School (3)
· Art 390 Art in the Elementary School (3)
· SPED 363 Introduction to Special Education (4)
· SPED 412 Introduction to Early Childhood Special Education (4)
· EDUC 420 Admission to Professional Candidacy (1)
· EDUC 423 Elementary Student Teaching K-8 (15)
Early Childhood Education Major (43)
· EDUC 390 Foundations of Early Childhood Education (3) F/Sp/Su
· EDUC 410 Methods I: Blended Curriculum in Early Childhood Education (4) F/Sp
· EDUC 430 Assessment in Early Childhood Education (5) F/Sp/Su
· EDUC 450 Methods II: Blended Curriculum in Early Childhood Education (4) F/W
· EDUC 451 Applications I: Blended Curriculum in Early Childhood Education (4) F/W
· EDUC 464 Applications II: Blended Curriculum in Early Childhood Education (4) W/Sp
· EDUC 470 Diversity in Early Childhood Education (3) F/Sp
· EDUC 475 Promoting Social Competence and Guiding Behavior in Early Childhood Settings (5) Sp
· EDUC 479 Early Literacy (3) W/Su
· EDUC 489 Family-Centered Practices in Early Childhood (3) F/Sp/Su
· EDUC 490C Early Childhood Education Capstone (5) W
Program sequence varies based on term of entry. Please contact your ECE advisor for guidance.
Dr. Allison Wilson
email@example.com 100 Total Credits
View the desktop version of this page.