- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
"I touch the future. I teach." - Christa McAuliffe
Our mission is to prepare student-centered educators to be professionals, leaders, scholars, and practitioners.
312 Williamson Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Special Education Options
The Special Education Program at Eastern Washington University prepares teachers for working with students with disabilities in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Program focus is on effective teaching practices used in special education for elementary and secondary school settings. Students in the Dual Endorsement (Elementary Education and Special Education) major complete the Washington State requirements for an endorsement in special education. A minor is not required with this major. Students may apply to begin the Program fall, winter, spring, or summer quarter. If someone is already certified, they may add on a special education endorsement.
- ENGL 201: English Composition II
- CMST 200: Intro to Speech Communications OR CMST 201: Public Speaking
- Math 211: Structure of Elementary Mathematics I
- WEST B exam
All prerequisites need to be successfully completed when you apply for the special Education Program.
The State of Washington requires all candidates to take and pass the Washington Educator's Skills Test. The WEST B, which tests basic skills, is required before admission to the Teacher Education Program. The WEST E is taken for each endorsement area prior to certification. For more information on these exams please visit www.west.nesinc.com
What will I study?
- Special Education/Elementary Education Dual Major - Candidates are endorsed to teach Special Education grades k-12 AND Elementary grades k-8.
- Add-on Special Education Endorsement
- Early Childhood Education with Special Education Option
- Early Childhood Special Education Minor
- Special Education Minor
* Minors do not meet a State of Washington Special Education endorsement.
* If someone is already certified, they may add-on a special educations endorse