- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
"I touch the future. I teach." - Christa McAuliffe
Our mission is to prepare student-centered teachers and leaders who are caring, effective, informed, reflective graduates who successfully engage all learners in diverse schools, communities and global contexts.
312 Williamson Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Special Education Options
The Special Education Program at Eastern Washington University prepares teachers for working with students with disabilities in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Program focus is on effective teaching practices used in special education for elementary and secondary school settings. Students in this major complete the Washington State requirements for an endorsement in special education. A minor is not required with this major. The Program culminates with a quarter of full time student teaching. Students may apply to begin the Program fall, winter, spring, or summer quarter.
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
- CMST 200 Intro to Speech Communications
- MATH 115 Mathematical Reasoning OR Math 211 Structure of Elementary Mathematics I (Important Note: If a student is pursuing Elementary Education endorsement in the Sped Dual Program, Math 211 must be completed as the math prerequisite.)
- WEST B exam
The State of Washington requires all candidates to take and pass the Washington Educator's Skills Test. The WEST B, which tests basic skills, is required before admission to the Teacher Education Program. The WEST E is taken for each endorsement area prior to certification. For more information on these exams please visit www.west.nesinc.com
If a student is currently enrolled in a prerequisite course or has taken the WEST B and is awaiting posted scores, he/she can apply for provisional admission to the Elementary Program. When grades and/or WEST B scores post, admission will either be confirmed with satisfactory grades/scores or the student will be required to drop Education Program courses and apply at a later date.
What will I study?
- Special Education Only Major - Candidates are endorsed to teach Special Education only grades k-12.
- Special Education/Elementary Education Dual Major - Candidates are endorsed to teach Special Education grades k-12 AND Elementary grades k-8.
- Special Education with Early Childhood Option
- Early Childhood Special Education Minor