- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Cheney Normal School Heritage CenterThe Cheney Normal School Heritage Center symbolizes Eastern's historical significance as a teacher preparation institute.
312 Williamson Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Cheney Normal School Heritage Center
The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center is a living museum that celebrates Eastern Washington University’s heritage as a teacher preparation institution. The museum is open for educational tours to schoolchildren and to the public. In addition to providing a place for visitors to relive the one-room schoolhouse experience, the building serves as:
- a place where classes, seminars and presentations are conducted related to the history and development of American education in one-room schoolhouses;
- a center for local and regional oral history where teachers, scholars and community members can share, record and preserve traditions, stories and records of the past; and
- a permanent location to house and display historical one-room schoolhouse artifacts.
Tours and historical educational presentations are available to schoolchildren and to the public. The schoolhouse may be booked for a class or club meeting.
To make an appointment, please contact the EWU Education Department:
Email email@example.com or call Danielle Desormier at 509-359-7003
The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center was originally known as the Jore (pronounced like jury) Schoolhouse. It opened for classes five miles west of Newport, Washington in 1905 and stayed open for 24 years, until 1929. During that time, it served as the school for all the Jore children as well as the children in the surrounding area. At least one student, Ivan Troyer, traveled 5 miles by horseback to attend.
During its time as a functioning one-room school, it had separate boys and girls entrances, a two-seat outhouse, and a horse stable. The school also had a galvanized roof and a concrete foundation, which helped it to survive all this time relatively intact.
In 2000, the schoolhouse was moved to campus from the woods outside Newport, Wash. with significant help from a donation by Spokane Teachers Credit Union. The building symbolizes Eastern's historical significance as a teacher preparation institute - many of the early graduates would have taught in a school like this. The building also provides a venue for seminars and presentations related to the history and development of education in the Inland Empire and the Pacific Northwest, a center for local and regional oral history where students, teachers, scholars, and community members can share, record, and preserve traditions, stories and records of the past, as well as a permanent setting to house and display historical one-room schoolhouse artifacts.