- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
EnglishOur English degrees provide students with strong writing skills, and a background in critical analysis, the structure of language, and literary history.
203 Patterson Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Paul Lindholdt, PhDProfessor of EnglishPatterson Hall 203JPhone: 509.359.2812Fax: 509.359.4269Email: email@example.com
American literature, environmental studies, creative writing
Penn State University, PhD, 1985
Western Washington University, MA and BA, 1980 and 1978
Worked through university as a homebuilder, industrial waste recycler, Teamster, and longshoreman. Have won awards from Academy of American Poets, Society of Professional Journalists, and Washington Center for the Book; published books, book chapters, articles, essays, op-eds, columns, reviews, and poems; and serve on editorial advisory boards for Journal of Ecocriticism (Univ. of British Columbia) and European Journal of American Culture (Univ. of Kent, UK).
* John Josselyn, Colonial Traveler: A Critical Edition of Two Voyages to New-England (Univ. Press of New England, 1988)
* Cascadia Wild: Protecting an International Ecosystem (ed. with Mitch Friedman, Frontier, 1993)
* History and Folklore of the Cowichan Indians (1901 by Martha Douglas Harris; Marquette Books, 2004)
* Holding Common Ground: The Individual and Public Lands in the American West (ed. with Derrick Knowles, EWU P, 2005)
* The Canoe and the Saddle: A Critical Edition (1862 by Theodore Winthrop; University of Nebraska Press, 2006)
* In Earshot of Water: Notes from the Columbia Plateau (University of Iowa, 2011; Washington State Book Award, 2012)
* Explorations in Ecocriticism: Advocacy, Bioregionalism, and Visual Design (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2015)
"The Trumpets of Solitude" (literary essay). Terrain.org June 1, 2015. Web.
"Shooters and the Tools They Use" (literary essay). Sewanee Review 122.4 (Fall 2014): 625-32. Print.
"Malad," "Yeoman," and "Crossing Arbon Valley" (poems). Poetry Northwest (New) 8.2 (Fall-Winter 2013-14): 18-19. Print.
"From Sublimity to Ecopornography: Assessing the Bureau of Reclamation Art Collection" (environmental history). Journal of Ecocriticism 1.1 (January 2009): 1-25. Web.
Graduate Research in Literature Environmental Literature
Faulkner and Frost Whitman and Dickinson
American Literature I & II The Graphic Novel
The American West Introductions to Fiction & Poetry