- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
EnglishOur English degrees provide students with strong writing skills, and a background in critical analysis, the structure of language, and literary history.
203 Patterson Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Paul Lindholdt, PhDProfessor of EnglishPatterson Hall 203JPhone: 509.359.2812Fax: 509.359.4269Email: email@example.com
American literature, environmental studies, creative writing
- Penn State University, PhD, 1985
- Western Washington University, MA and BA, 1980 and 1978
Worked through university as a homebuilder, industrial waste recycler, Teamster, and longshoreman. Have won awards from Academy of American Poets, Society of Professional Journalists, and Washington Center for the Book. Published books, book chapters, articles, essays, op-eds, columns, reviews, and poems. Serve on editorial advisory boards for Journal of Ecocriticism (University of British Columbia) and European Journal of American Culture (University of Kent, UK).
- Informal Biography
- Explorations in Ecocriticism: Advocacy, Bioregionalism, and Visual Design (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2015).
- In Earshot of Water: Notes from the Columbia Plateau (U of Iowa P, 2011; winner 2012 Washington State Book Award).
- The Canoe and the Saddle: A Critical Edition (1862 by Theodore Winthrop; University of Nebraska Press, 2006).
- Holding Common Ground: The Individual and Public Lands in the American West (ed. with Derrick Knowles, EWU P, 2005).
- History and Folklore of the Cowichan Indians (1901 by Martha Douglas Harris; Marquette Books, 2004).
- Cascadia Wild: Protecting an International Ecosystem (ed. with Mitch Friedman, Greater Ecosystem Alliance, 1993).
- John Josselyn, Colonial Traveler: A Critical Edition of Two Voyages to New-England (Univ. Press of New England, 1988).
- "The Trumpets of Solitude" (literary nonfiction). Terrain.org. June 5, 2015. Web.
- "Shooters and the Tools They Use" (literary nonfiction). Sewanee Review 122.4 (Fall 2014): 625-32. Print.
- "Crossing Arbon Valley," "Malad," and "Yeoman" (poems). Poetry Northwest, New Series, 8.2 (Winter 2014): 18-19. Print.
- "From Sublimity to Ecopornography: Assessing the Bureau of Reclamation Art Collection" (environmental history). Journal of Ecocriticism 1.1 (January 2009): 1-25. Web.
- Graduate Research in Literature
- Environmental Literature
- Faulkner and Frost
- Whitman and Dickinson
- American Literature I & II
- The Graphic Novel