- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Physical Education, Health & RecreationOur mission is accomplished by educating students who are professionally and academically prepared and dedicated to addressing the wellness of a diverse society in a variety of environments. We are commited to enhancing quality of life through the promotion of wellness.
Cheney, WA 99004
Health and Fitness
The Health and Fitness Program at Eastern Washington University offers a BA in education for health and fitness.
The BAE in health education prepares the student to enter the world of teaching on either a primary and/or secondary education level. When finished, the student will be certified/endorsed to teach health and physical education in the state of Washington. In addition to taking content-oriented classes, students also take education classes in order to better understand the methods, theories and strategies involved in teaching children.
What will I study?
The program prepares graduates in teaching K-12 children in the performance and understanding of basic motor skills, games and lifelong fitness activities, wellness, nutrition, decision-making, as well as the social and personal skills related to participating in physical activities.
Interesting courses I might take:
- Applied Nutrition/Fitness
- Sex Education
- Physiological Kinesiology
- Sport and Culture
- Adapted Physical Education
- Teaching Methods in Health
- General Methods and Procedures for Physical Education
What could I do with my degree?
- health and/or PE teacher - elementary, middle or high school
- strength coach, coaching, officiating
- fitness instructor - corporate or club
- public health settings
- athletic director
- Opportunities also exist in colleges and universities for those who elect to continue beyond the bachelor's degree level of education.