- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Minor in Challenge Course Management and LeadershipThis minor addresses the growing experiential and challenge education field and the need for trained practitioners within the challenge ropes course, zip line and canopy tour industry.
Cheney, WA 99004
Minor in Challenge Course Management and Leadership
The curriculum closely follows the standards and guidelines developed by the leading national organizations in the challenge course industry. A student completing the minor curriculum will gain experience, education and training that is essential as a challenge course facilitator or manager as well as acquire documented experience to apply toward practitioner certification. Students also attain facilitation and leadership skills beneficial in many professional leadership or management roles.
Visit the Challenge Course Experience.
What will I study?
RCLS 220 - Leadership in Recreation and Leisure Services
RCLS 225 - Challenge Course Facilitation Techniques
RCLS 321 - Challenge Course Low Element Facilitation
RCLS 352 - Challenge Course Technical Skills
RCLS 353 - Challenge Course Advanced Technical Skills
RCLS 475 - Challenge Course Management and Operation
*Successful completion of RCLS 225, RCLS 321 and RCLS 352 leads to a Challenge Course Practitioner Level One Certification.
Emphases / Concentrations:
- understand experiential education and challenge course history
- model and teach appropriate facilitation skills
- exhibit an understanding of using group ground initiatives, low and high elements with varied populations
- model and teach a variety of debriefing techniques
- learn technical skills for low and high elements
- learn to assess and manage all aspects of challenge course operations
What could I do with my degree?
- challenge course facilitator
- challenge course manager
- zip line/canopy tour facilitator/manager
- outdoor adventure leadership
- team building