- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Therapeutic recreation specialists are involved in helping individuals with disabilities or illnesses learn the skills necessary to develop satisfying leisure lifestyles.
Cheney, WA 99004
What will I study?
Course curriculum is set up for the students to learn assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation skills, processess and techniques, as well as leadership and other skills.
Interesting courses I might take:
- Therapeutic recreation for people with disabilities is an exciting class where the students research different types of adaptations for activities to make it possible for anyone to participate, such as seated volleyball, wheelchair basketball or fishing.
What could I do with my degree?
- As an allied health professional, a therapeutic recreation specialist could work in the following settings:
- physical medicine and rehabilitation facilities (dealing with head injuries, spinal cord injuries or strokes)
- mental health hospitals
- state institutions (for the developmentally disabled, chronic psychiatric or juvenile offenders)
- group homes
- camps for disabled individuals
- long term care facilities
- treatment centers for substance abusers
- Beginning salaries are usually comparable to the beginning salaries of public school teachers. Career opportunities are very divergent and are available through the United States.