- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
PhilosophyThe philosophy program at Eastern offers a set of introductory courses that figure prominently in general education requirements, undergird the more advanced courses, and address some of the haunting why questions we carry with us from childhood when we were all philosophizing.
229 Patterson Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Kevin S. DeckerProfessor of PhilosophyPatterson Hall 229CPhone: 509.359.6018Fax: 509.359.6206Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kevin S. Decker
Professor of Philosophy
EWU Faculty Organization President, 2015-16
Areas of Specialization: Social and Political Theory, Ethics, American Pragmatism, Philosophy and Popular Culture, German Idealism, Romantic Thought
Areas of Competence: Applied Ethics, History of Philosophy (Modern and Contemporary), Phenomenology, Critical Theory, Philosophy of Religion, Philosophies of the Natural and Social Sciences.
Managing Editor, William James Studies
Co-writer and co-producer, Men in Charge radio program, KPBX Spokane public radio
- (forthcoming, 2016) The Philosophy of Breaking Bad (Palgrave MacMillan), co-editor with Robert Arp
- (forthcoming, 2016 ) The Ultimate Star Trek and Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell), co-editor with Jason T. Eberl
- (forthcoming, 2016) "The Human Adventure is Just Beginning: Secularism, Religion and Star Trek" in The Ultimate Star Trek and Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell), eds. Decker & Eberl.
- (forthcoming, 2015) The Ultimate Star Wars and Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell), co-editor with Jason T. Eberl
- (forthcoming, 2015) "Dark Times: The End of the Old Republic and the Beginning of Chinese Philosophy," The Ultimate Star Wars and Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell), eds. Eberl & Decker.
- (forthcoming, 2015) "Science and Nature without God," in Robert Arp, ed., Debating Aquinas' Proofs for God's Existence in the 21st Century (Rodopi Philosophy and Religion Series)
- (forthcoming, 2015) "The Vale of Top Hats: Duplicity, Duplicability, and The Prestige," in George Dunn and Jason T. Eberl, eds. The Philosophy of Christopher Nolan (Arlington)
- (2014) "Personal Identity and Na'vi Wisdom," in Avatar and Philosophy, ed. George Dunn (Blackwell Publishers).
- (2014) "Dewey, Aristotle, and the Spectator Theory of Knowledge," in Christopher Kirby, ed., Dewey and the Ancients: Essays on Hellenic and Hellenistic Themes in the Philosophy of John Dewey (Bloomsbury Academic)
- (2014) "Culture, Hermeneutics and the Batman," in The Philosophy of Tim Burton, ed. Jennifer McMahon (University of Kentucky).
- (2013), with Mary Ann Keogh Hoss, "When All Roads Lead to Rome: The Catholic Hospital Dilemma Can Impact All Hospital Care," The Open Journal of Leadership 2:4 (December 2013), 106-109
- (2013) Who is Who? The Philosophy of Doctor Who (I.B. Tauris, London/Palgrave Macmillan), author
- (2013) The Ultimate South Park and Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell), co-edited with Robert Arp
- (2013) Ender's Game and Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell), editor.
- "The Human Adventure is Just Beginning: Star Trek, Religion, and Secularism," Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Annual Conference (forthcoming, April 2016)
- "Craft as Experience: Aesthetics as if Practice Matters," 2016 Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy Annual Conference (March 2016)
- "Men in Dark Times: Lessons in Chinese Philosophy from Star Wars," Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Annual Conference (April 2015)
- "The Practical Turn in Pragmatism: Intellectualism, Pluralism and Material Culture," 2014 Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy Annual Conference (March 2014)
- "Research is a Dish Best Served Cold: Fanning the Flames of Undergraduate Research Using Pop Culture," Faculty Administrator Network session at the 2013 National Council of Undergraduate Research meeting, LaCrosse Wisconsin (April 2013)
- "In London Street: The Dewey-Trotsky Encounter in Politics and Praxis," 2013 Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy Annual Conference (March 2013).
- "What Does Naturalism Mean by Practical?" Inland Northwest Pragmatist Network, Gonzaga University (January 2013).
- "The Permanent Trotskyist Deposit in John Dewey's Thought," Dewey in Mexico International Conference, Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, (January 2012).