- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and Social WorkWelcome to our college.
121 Senior Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Cinco De Mayo- An Enduring Legacy
Date and Time
May 5th 11:00 am
Kingston Hall 137
Mr. Avila served as a new clerk with the Alaska State Supreme Court shortly after graduating from Harvard Law School in 1973. In 1982, Mr. Avila became the president and General Counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (M.A.L.D.E.F.'s), a national Latino civil rights advocacy organization. During this extensive legal career on Latino civil rights issues, Mr. Avila has achieved numerous legal victories at the federal, appellate and U.S. Supreme Court levels. He is the recipient of several awards including the prestigious John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Fellowship and Benito Juarez and Abraham Lincoln Award for his battles against discriminatory election structures at the local, state, and congressional levels. Mr. Avila will be speaking about the legal battles Latinos are expected to confront as their population grows and redistricting takes place throughout the state and nation.
Contact: Lupe Cannon: 509.359.4845
Upcoming & Past Events
- The Courage to Let Your Heart Break - Mindfulness and Compassion across Culture and Time - Dr. Russell Kolts, PhD, Psychology
- Imagining Iran: the Tragedy of Subaltern NationalismFeaturing: Dr. Majid Sharifi, Government & International Affairs
- "Misquoting Jesus- Discrepancies in Christian Scripture" an Evening with Bart Ehrman, PhD
- "The Spirit of the Academic World"featuringVenerable Prof. Geshe T. Phelgye
- CSBSSW presents our Fall Global Studies Lecture Series"Mexico, the Center of the World:Uncovering the Global and TransculturalHistory of Mexico"Featuring Dr. Edward Slack, HistoryDr. Jerry Garcia, Chicano Education StudiesDr. Joseph Lenti, History
- CSBSSW's Teach-In "2012 Election: The Choice is Yours!"
- Global Studies Lecture Series welcomes Dr. Romel Mackelprang