- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and Social WorkWelcome to our college.
121 Senior Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Global Studies Lecture Series welcomes Dr. Romel Mackelprang
Date and Time
Thursday, May 10th, 2012, Noon-1:30 p.m.
The Walter and Myrtle Powers Reading Room
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Social Work
Forum made possible by the Daniel and Margaret Carper Foundation
"Western Charity for Sub-Saharan Africa:Help or Hindrance?"
A generation after achieving independence, the economies of Sub-Saharan African countries are still developing. As many Africans have struggled, western charities have provided assistance to help them meet life's challenges.
Dr. Mackelprang's presentation illustrates how to maximize the benefits of humanitarian aid and avoid unintended negative consequences of charitable efforts.
Using Ghana as a case study, Dr. Mackelprang will discuss how efforts should focus on investment rather than charity, and result in enhanced capacity in which individuals, organizations, and governments assume responsibility and reduce the need for external aid.
Contact: CSBSSW 509-359-6081 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming & Past Events
- Historian Ari Kelman to Visit EWU
- Dr. Jared Diamond - The World Until Yesterday
- Tim Wise, Scholar and Philosopher to present at EWU
- The Courage to Let Your Heart Break - Mindfulness and Compassion across Culture and Time - Dr. Russell Kolts, PhD, Psychology
- Imagining Iran: the Tragedy of Subaltern NationalismFeaturing: Dr. Majid Sharifi, Government & International Affairs
- "Misquoting Jesus- Discrepancies in Christian Scripture" an Evening with Bart Ehrman, PhD
- "The Spirit of the Academic World"featuringVenerable Prof. Geshe T. Phelgye