- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and Social Work
Welcome to our college.
121 Senior Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Quest for Justice: The Cambodian Khmer Rough Tribunal and Victim Healing
Date and Time
Thursday, May 5, 2011 Noon-1:30 pm
Hargreaves Hall 2nd floor Reading Room
Lunch: Noon-12:30 p.m.
Lecture: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Lunch will be provided.
Those wishing to come at 12:30 for the lecture only are welcome, including student groups and classes.
International Tribunals are often established in countries in which genocide and other gross violations of human rights occurred. Questions of guilt and accountability enter into those models of justice, but also notions of reconciliation. This is the case in Cambodia,where more than three million people lost their lives during the Cambodian genocide (1975 -1979). In 2007, the Khmer Rouge Tribunal became operational, and the most senior leaders of the Khmer Rouge regime are finally to account for their crimes. In addition, as victims/survivors testify in court against the defendants, they are often re-traumatized and in need of victim support and counseling. Through culturally adjusted testimonial therapy and Buddhist ceremonies, victims find healing for themselves and peace for departed relatives.
This presentation will introduce the Khmer Rouge Tribunal and present the perspectives of Cambodian people on the Khmer Rouge Tribunal, related to their quest for justice and reconciliation. Also a 14 minute video will feature the power of testimonial therapy in the process of victim healing.
Upcoming & Past Events
- Imagining Iran: the Tragedy of Subaltern NationalismFeaturing: Dr. Majid Sharifi, Government & International Affairs
- "Misquoting Jesus- Discrepancies in Christian Scripture" an Evening with Bart Ehrman, PhD
- "The Spirit of the Academic World"featuringVenerable Prof. Geshe T. Phelgye
- CSBSSW presents our Fall Global Studies Lecture Series"Mexico, the Center of the World:Uncovering the Global and TransculturalHistory of Mexico"Featuring Dr. Edward Slack, HistoryDr. Jerry Garcia, Chicano Education StudiesDr. Joseph Lenti, History
- CSBSSW's Teach-In "2012 Election: The Choice is Yours!"
- Global Studies Lecture Series welcomes Dr. Romel Mackelprang
- Global Studies Lecture Series welcomes Vandana Asthana