- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Psychology is a diverse discipline, grounded in science, aimed to understand human behavior. While some are basic researchers who develop and test theories, others apply the discipline’s scientific knowledge to help people, organizations, and communities.
135 Martin Hall, Cheney, WA 99004
Psychology BA Advising
Bachelor in Psychology Advising
To declare psychology as a major, students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and have taken and passed PSYC 100 or its equivalent with a 2.0 or higher.
|PSYC 100||General Psychology||5||Must receive a 2.0 or higher|
|PSYC 309||Scientific Principles of Psychology||5||200 Level English, Math 100 or higher|
|CSBS 320||Introductory Statistics||5||Math 104, or clearance by test. Math 155 Req.|
|PSYC 313||Research Methods in Psychology||5||PSYC 309 AND CSBS 320|
|Experimental Requirements||(3 credits total in any combination)||Prerequisites|
|Intership OR||Permission of instructor|
|PSYC 398/498||Seminar OR||Permission of instructor|
|PSYC 399/499||Directed Study||Permission of instructor|
Students are required to take at least four (4) of the following courses (18-20 credits).
|Cluster A: Core Courses||CR||Prerequisites|
|PSYC 301||Theories of Personality||5||none|
|PSYC 302||Abnormal Psychology||5||none|
|PSYC 303||Foundations of Psychotherapy||5||PSYC 301 and 302|
|PSYC 305||Child & Adolescent Development||4||none|
|PSYC 306||Adult Development||4||none|
|PSYC 316||Human Memory & Cognition||5||Junior level standing or Instructor permission|
|PSYC 340||Emotion & Emotional Intelligence||5||PSYC 100 or Equivalent|
|PSYC 381||Social Psychology||5||PSYC 309 Recommended|
|PSYC 420||Biological Basis of Behavior||5||PSYC 309|
|PSYC 474||Cultural Psychology||5||PSYC 100|
Students are required to take at least three (3) of the following courses: (11-15 Credits)
|Cluster B: Applied/Lab Courses||Cr||Prerequisites|
|CSBS 321||Computerized Statistical Analysis||4||CPLA 120 or Equivalent, CSBS 320|
|PSYC 314||Tests and Measurements||5||PSYC 301, 302, CSBS 320|
|PSYC 317||Health Psychology||5||PSYC 309|
|PSYC 318||Computerized Research Techniques in Psychology||4||PSYC 309, CSBS 320|
|PSYC 323||Drugs and Behavior||5||None|
|PSYC 325||Cognitive Behavior and Learning||4||PSYC 100|
|PSYC 331||Psychology of Women||4||200 Level English or Equivalent|
|PSYC 359||Human Sexuality||5||none|
|PSYC 425||Psychology and the Legal System||5||PSYC 100 or instructor permission|
|PSYC 427||Psychology of Intimate Relationships||5||none|
|PSYC 430||Human Psychophysiology||5||CSBS 320|
|PSYC 431||Stress and Coping||3||none|
|PSYC 433||Introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy||3||PSYC 100, PSYC 302|
|PSYC 440||Happiness and Positive Psychology||5||Junior Standing|
|PSYC 450||Trauma: Theory, Assessment and Treatment||4||Recommended PSYC 302|
|PSYC 452||Social Influence||5||Junior Standing|
|PSYC 470||Childhood Psychopathology and Treatment||4||PSYC 302|
|PSYC 481||Prejudice and Sterotyping||5||PSYC 381 or Instructor permission|
|PSYC 496||Experimental Course||Instructor permission, chair, and college dean|
|PSYC 497||Workshops, Short Courses, Conferences||As approved by department chair|
The remainder of courses required to complete the 70 credit major may be chosen from any of the above psychology courses that are not used to meet the group requirements. The University capstone requirement can be met by PSYC 490, Senior Capstone: The Tradition of Psychology (6 credits), which also counts as an elective.
Note: The following is a list of important considerations for undergraduate students in the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology program.
- Before declaring the major in psychology, the student must pass PSYC 100, General Psychology, and have an overall GPA of 2.0 or better.
- You are responsible for making sure you have completed all EWU general undergraduate requirements as delineated in the EWU Catalog. You are strongly encouraged to complete mathematics and computer literacy early as possible. The University foreign language requirement is two years at the high school level or one year at college level. PSYC/WMST 331 meets the University Culture and Gender Diversity course requirement and PSYC 474 Cultural Psychology meets the University International Studies course requirement.
- Map out a general schedule identifying when you plan to take each course. Not all major courses are offered each quarter. Check with your Departmental Advisor and the University Catalog to identify course prerequisites. Complete prerequisites early so you have flexibility to take other courses when they are offered.
- The Psychology Major is 70 credits. There is no minor requirement. You must have earned 180 credits total to graduate from the University.
- PSYC 309 is a prerequisite for many classes and must be taken before PSYC 313. PSYC 309 and CSBS 320 can be taken in any order or at the same time, although we recommend taking PSYC 309 first. PSYC 309 and CSBS 320 should be completed before PSYC 313, and the three courses must be completed prior to PSYC 490. it is recommended that you take PSYC 490-Senior Capstone: The Tradition of Psychology in spring of your junior year or fall of your senior year.
- Students must achieve a C (2.0 or better) in all Required Courses (PSYC 100, PSYC 309, CSBS 320, PSYC 313, PSYC 395/495, PSYCH 398/498, and PSYC 399/498).
- Your application for graduation should be submitted two full academic quarters before you plan to graduate and needs to be signed by the Department Chair. Submission deadlines are listed in the quarterly EWU Course Announcement.