- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
We are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.
310 N Riverpoint Blvd., Suite 160
Spokane, WA 99202
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can apply? You must be a licensed dental hygienist graduated from an Associate dental hygiene degree program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and regional higher education accrediting bodies with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
2. When are the classes held? In the near future all courses will be taught online via Canvas, a web-based Learning Management System that allows students to submit assignments, contact the course instructor, collaborate with fellow students, participate in discussions, and even videoconference from virtually anywhere.
3. What happened to your site locations? To better serve students both statewide and eventually nationally, our program has decided to go 100% online. There will no longer be "sites" all students will take courses online from the comforts of home, and to meet the demand of the working hygentist.4. How long is the program? Designed for the working RDH. Curriculum is two years part-time with no more than 10 credits per quarter. EWU is a quarter system and the curriculum is designed to be done in 7 quarters including summer. Students have the option to complete the curriculum in one year as well.
5. May I continue working? Most students continue to work 4 days per week and continue their family lives without much issue. For completion in one year, we recommend working no more than 2-3 days per week.
6. Do I need to do more clinical instruction? No clinical component!
7. How much does it cost? Tuition is estimated at$240.00 per credit starting Fall 2013. We make every effort to keep the cost reasonable as EWU embraces the promotion of all dental hygienists having a bachelor's degree. We are still one of the least expensive degree completion programs in the United States.
8. Can I qualify for Financial Aid? Applicants with questions about eligibility and availability of financial aid are invited to visit the EWU Financial Aid and Scholarships webpage or contact:
EWU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
102 Sutton Hall,
Cheney, WA 99004-2431
Deadlines for application for financial aid are strictly adhered to!
9. What if I am an Out-of-State applicant? The EWU BSDH degree completion program is self-supporting therefore; all students in the program pay the same in-state tuition rate.
10. How many credits will I need to take to complete my degree? A minimum of 61 upper-division credits is required beyond the Associate Degree. Of these 61 Upper Division credits; 37 are Dental Hygiene credits and 24 are Upper Division University Requirements ncluded in the program. A minimum of 45 of these credits must be earned from EWU. EWU accepts a maximum block transfer of 74 credits.
11. What if I have course deficiencies in university requirements? Upon completion of a formal transcript evaluation, applicants will receive a letter notifying them of the results. If additional coursework is required, the applicant must successfully complete this coursework prior to graduation from the program. The student is responsible for selecting and successfully completing coursework in the deficient areas. Please note that you MAY NOT enroll for ENGL 385 unless you have completed the equivalent of ENGL 201. Please plan accordingly when creating your education plan with the director.
12. Who is my advisor? The Director of the Degree Completion Program is the official EWU advisor for every applicant. Please do not contact the EWU General Advising Office!
13. How do I apply? Applicants to the Dental Hygiene Degree Completion Program are required to complete two applications:
a. An Eastern Washington University (EWU) application
b. A Degree Completion Program application
Director Degree Completion
EWU Dental Hygiene Dept.
310 N. Riverpoint Blvd. Box E
Spokane, WA 99202
A complete application package must be sent to the director!