- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
We are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.
310 N Riverpoint Blvd., Suite 160
Spokane, WA 99202
Masters of Science Degree Information
The mission of the master of science degree in Dental Hygiene program is to educate and graduate dental hygienists who are technically, intellectually and ethically prepared for the upcoming challenges facing the dental profession. We are committed to excellence in dental hygiene education. Our purpose is to develop a program that encourages the development and use of critical thinking skills, the desire to participate in and contribute to life-long learning and translational research opportunities, the ability to be community leaders and outstanding citizens, and the skills to be health care professionals who can provide comprehensive care to diverse population groups in a variety of settings.
This program will strive to create in each hygienist the perpetual self-learning capacity to live up to one's full potential and to contribute to making our community, our profession and our world a better place to live.
To graduate educationally competent, culturally-sensitive, and ethically-sound dental hygienists who will promote oral and general health and wellness to the public and other health care practitioners.
To provide a quality educational program that meets the needs of the students, is sensitive to the changing needs of dentistry, and follows the guidelines of the educational community. To graduate dental hygienists who are able to initiate and assume responsibility for health promotion and disease prevention activities for diverse populations in a variety of settings, and who appreciate multidisciplinary team function.
To graduate dental hygienists who possess transferable skills in communication, problem solving, and critical thinking, in order to encourage and take advantage of opportunities for professional growth and development in themselves, their profession and others. To offer a master degree program that is sufficient enough in scope and depth to provide graduates with a high quality professional education that fosters their ability to adapt to the future, to provide leadership in dental hygiene, to practice as an ADHP (if the opportunity exists), and to accept the challenge of doctorate level education.
- To enhance dental hygiene's body of evidence through support of faculty translational research programs that contribute to the art of science of dental hygiene, to dental hygiene practice, and the improvement of oral health delivery systems.
The philosophy of the MSDH program is one of commitment to the education and development of oral health professionals who go beyond academic excellence, who are productive, self-sufficient citizens of society, who are responsive to the global community, and who maintain high ethical standards in their personal and professional lives. In order to achieve these goals, our faculty demands of themselves excellence in academic endeavors, continuous education in teaching theory, knowledge of scientific advancements in dental care and advanced clinical skills. Our goal is to produce graduates who are prepared to meet the current and future health care demands of today's challenging health care system.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Be technically, intellectually and ethically prepared for the upcoming challenges facing the dental profession.
- Possess critical thinking skills that help them to be community leaders and outstanding citizens.
- Possess skills needed to be health care professionals who can provide comprehensive care to diverse population groups in a variety of settings.
- Have the perpetual self-learning capacity to live up to their full potential and to contribute to making our community, our profession and our world a better place to live.
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- BS in dental hygiene or related area from an accredited dental hygiene program in the U.S. or Canada
- Successful completion of the Dental Hygiene National Board Examination or its Canadian equivalent
- A current dental hygiene license in the U.S. or Canada
- Submission of GRE scores (to be used for student data tracking)
- Submission of an essay on a topic provided by the Department of Dental Hygiene
- Clearance of a criminal background check
- Current health care provider CPR certification
- Completion of a 4 or 5 credit statistics course (click on the link to download statistical course options)
In addition to the EWU Graduate School application and a fee of $50, there is a separate application for the Department of Dental Hygiene, along with a $50 fee. Applications to the program will not be considered by the Department of Dental Hygiene until they have been processed in the university Graduate Studies office and a copy of the transcript evaluation has been sent from Graduate Studies to the Department of Dental Hygiene.
What is the GRE?
The GRE general test is required for this graduate program, it is a computer-based test which measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. You can register online at: http://www.ets.org/gre/grereg.
With your registration fee, you may send your test scores to up to four graduate institutions. Your verbal and quantitative reasoning scores will be available to you immediately at the testing center. However, your analytical writing score and overall final score may take up to two weeks to obtain. Test centers fill up quickly, so you want to register soon to assure that EWU is able to get your score in time for admissions consideration.
How to Apply:
- Must apply to EWU Graduate School online at: http://www.ewu.edu/grad/application-procedures.xml
- Please download the Dental Hygiene application to fill out and return to the Dental Hygiene department.
Application Fees: $50 to EWU- $50 to Dental Hygiene Department
In-State Tuition: $2,742/quarter
Out-of State Tuition: $6,311/quarter
Individual Course Delivery Fee: $50 to $100/course
Student Technology Fee: $35/quarter
Course of Study:
Once a student meets the admission requirements for being a graduate student at EWU, and for the dental hygiene master of science program, an additional 62-67 graduate credits must be completed based on emphasis area.
Full-time students could complete their coursework in seven quarters, while part-time students could take up to six years to complete. Students may choose the option of a thesis OR a graduate research project interdisciplinary in nature impacting the people of Washington state.
Courses are offered on-line, with two required visits to the EWU Riverpoint Campus, Spokane, Washington. The first visit is one week long and involves advanced clinical techniques, and patient treatment. The second visit is required for the thesis defense, or presentation of the graduate research project.