- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
MathematicsWe are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.
216 Kingston Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
BAE Mathematics/Secondary (5-12)
The BAE Mathematics/Secondary degree prepares prospective teaching candidates with strong foundations in mathematics and how students learn mathematics. Faculty in the program actively research mathematics teacher development and work closely with teacher candidates to support their development of reflective classroom practices. Teacher candidates have opportunities throughout the program to apply their practice in calssroom placements, tutoring programs and seminars, and undergraduate research.
What will I study?
Completion of this major and the general degree completion requirements for education, secondary, satisfies the state requirements for a state mathematics teaching endorsement (secondary, grade levels 5-12).
Required Courses Degree Map Degree Flight Plan
*MATH 161 Calculus I (5)
*MATH 162 Calculus II (5)
*MATH 163 Calculus III (5)
*MATH 225 Foundations of Mathematics (5)
*MATH 231 Linear Algebra (5)
*MATH 241 Calculus IV (5)
*MTED 392 Methods of Teaching Secondary Math I (3)
*MATH 460 Continuous Functions (5)
*MATH 370 Survey of Geometries (5)
*MATH 385 Probability and An Introduction to Statistics (5)
*Elective: Choose at least one:
MATH 331 Number Theory with Applications
MATH 332 Discrete Mathematics with Applications
MATH 347 Introductory Differential Equations
MATH 431 Group Theory
MATH 481 Complex Analysis
*MTED 393 Methods of Teaching Secondary Mathematics II (3)
*MATH 432 Rings and Polynomials (5)
*MTED 490B Secondary Practicum (5)
*MATH 492 Problem Solving Seminar (5)
*MTED 493 Methods of Teaching Secondary Mathematics III (3)
*MATH 387 Regression Concepts (3)
Total credits for above major: 77 credits
For complete certification requirements refer to the Department of Education. Course prerequisites may also apply. Minimum total credits for above major and professional education 123 credits.
Emphases / Concentrations:
- Demonstrate understanding of foundational content of modern mathematics and its applications.
- Reason mathematically and develop proofs with understanding.
- Enjoy the values, dispositions, and habits of mind of a community of mathematicians.
- Demonstrate understanding of mathematical learning progressions and connections with secondary mathematics.
- Critically read, analyze, evaluate, transform, and implement mathematics education literature.
- Display a sensitivity and ability to respond to the mathematical thinking of secondary students.
- Apply of pedagogical content knowledge for secondary mathematics in planning and teaching.
- Employ habits of mind to continue improving teaching practices that support mathematics learning.