- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
MathematicsWe are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.
216 Kingston Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Math Placement Assessment
With very few exceptions, all students must take the math placement assessment before they are allowed to register for their math course. Eastern Washington University currently uses computer based assessment software called ALEKS.
Note: EWU no longer accepts APTP math placement test scores. Anyone with one of these scores will need to take the ALEKS placement assessment with EWU.
Gettting Started with ALEKS
Below are the instructions on what is required of students to take the math placement assessment at EWU for placement into a math course.
- First, log into your EagleNET account and pay the math placement test fee (which is $30). Visit the FAQ for step-by-step instructions on how to pay for the fee.
- Return to this page and log into ALEKS with the link at the bottom of this page.
- Log in with your EWU Single Sign On (SSO). Students can obtain their SSO log in information here.
- ALEKS will give you an initial assessment. This is a practice placement assessment and can be done at home. To ensure you receive a proper practice module, do the practice assessment without any assistance.
- You will then be assigned a learning module. You must work a minimum of three hours in this before you can take the proctored assessment. (The time spent on the initial assessment does not count towards these three hours.)
- Take the proctored assessment. You may take it at EWU at one of the scheduled times, or take it at another designated spot. Click here for more information.
Benefits of Using ALEKS
As opposed to other math placement assessments, ALEKS will give students an initial assessment to gauge the level at which students should focus. When taking the initial assessment, students should not seek any assistance nor use a calculator unless provided by ALEKS. Neither of these will be allowed during the final assessment. The assessment will be approximately 30 questions and take about 90 minutes and will cover material from basic algebra to pre-calculus.
Prep and Learning Module
Students will have the opportunity to practice before their final assessment in a learning module, after their initial assessment. ALEKS will provide students a prep and learning module to work. All students are required to spend at least three hours in the learning module before they take their final assessment to help ensure a proper placement.
After students feel satisfied with their progress in the learning module, they are then ready to take the final assessment. The final assessment will held as scheduled in Monroe Hall. Seats are limited, and students will be admitted on a first come first served basis. Students must bring photo ID. Students may bring a pencil or pen, but scratch paper will be provided. No other materials will be permitted. After the assessment, ALEKS will link you to Eastern's course placement scores. If you find that you are not satisfied with your placement, you may retake your proctored assessment. Please view the FAQ for more information.
All practice and assessments must be completed before or on March 31, 2015. Any students that have not completed their assessments by this date will need to pay for a new placement package.
If you have any questions not answered in the FAQ, you may contact the ALEKS Math Lab Manager, Tony Baraconi, by email (email@example.com) or in his office, Monroe 305B, Mondays 1p.m.-3p.m. or Thursdays and Friday, 1p.m.-2p.m.
Note: An examinee with a documented disability requiring special testing accommodation will need to contact the EWU Disability Support Services Office located in Tawanka Hall 124 at (509) 359-6871 to pre-arrange the accommodation during the proctored assessment.