- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Music: Composition EmphasisMaster of Arts in Music: Composition Emphasis
206 Showalter Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Music: Composition Emphasis
Students will engage in graduate-level research, analysis and performance practice. Program will focus on advanced compositional techniques, theory application and current compositional practices. A final recital of students' compositions will be required.
Deadline for Application
Sept 1 for program applications
Special Program Requirements
* Fall admission recommended because of the sequential curriculum design.
* Performance audition required on primary instrument or voice.
* Submit 3 scores and 3 recordings of recent compositions.
* Submit a writing sample of no less than 3 pages. Ideally this will be an undergraduate term paper or other essay that contains references to secondary sources that are cited in an accepted scholarly style. If no writing sample of this type is available, another type of sample is acceptable; examples might include program notes, a statement of teaching philosophy for music education applicants, a statement of creative process for composition applicants, or any other demonstration of the applicant's writing ability.
* Contact Dr. Jonathan Middleton, Director of Composition for specific questions about the composition program, submission materials and audition information.
Dr. Jody Graves, Graduate Program Director
119 Music Building
Cheney WA 99004