Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
PLUS (Program Leading to University Success)Serving the students at Eastern Washington University with a full spectrum of academic support services.
PLUS (Program Leading to University Success)
PROGRAM LEADING TO UNIVERSITY SUCCESS (PLUS)
To enhance the quality of university student scholarship and support the achievement of students' academic and career goals through active learning, individualized tutoring, online academic support, discipline-based collaborative learning groups, individualized student coaching, and freshman programming.
Find the PLUS Staff here. Get information about our success--our 2013-2014 Executive Summaries here. Check out our program and event photos on Flickr! Check out the article our office aide Michael San Miguel wrote about the program on The Odyssey Online.
- Discipline and instructor specific collaborative learning groups led by student facilitators who consult with the instructor
- Held two days a week for 50 minutes each
- Students in the same course collaborate, discuss concepts, and problem solve in a small group environment facilitated by a more knowledgeable peer facilitator
- Facilitators model effective study strategies through course-specific activities
- Facilitators are trained and certified through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) and attend weekly training each quarter
- Students seeking tutoring must sign a contract to meet with their tutor at least twice a week for the quarter as well as other commitments
- Students meet with tutor at least two days a week for 1 hour sessions.
- Tutors model effective study strategies through course-specific activities
- Tutors trained and certified through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) and attend training one hour a week through each quarter
- Available to all EWU students, including those in online courses and at extended campuses
- Available days, evenings, and weekends
- Includes: eWriting Lab: drop box (asynchronous) -- eChat: one-on-one tutoring (synchronous) -- eQuestions: drop box (asynchronous) inside eTutoring.
- PLUS Groups
- PLUS 1-1 Tutoring
- PLUS eTutoring
PLUS Pathways: A Three-Quarter Provisional Admit Freshmen Program
This project supports the academic needs as well as institutional integration needs of 100 provisional admit freshmen during their first year at EWU. This program is a six part program where students work closely with faculty, staff, and peer coaches. The Pathways project provides consistent support to students who have been admitted conditionally to the University because of poor academic performance in high school and/or other at-risk indicators requiring intensive support. Using retention research and best practices for at risk students, this program is designed to serve students who are not served by other intensive academic support services on campus.
PLUS tutors, facilitators and mentors are certified in the International Mentor Training Program Certification (IMTPC) or International Tutor Training Program Certification (ITTPC) via the College Reading and Learning Association.