Apply Now
EWU Libraries
816 F Street
Cheney, WA 99004
phone: 509.359.7888



Faculty Handout : EWU Libraries Guide for Faculty 

For Your Classes | For Your Research

For Your Classes 

Course Reserves: Placing Materials on Reserve

Instructors may place materials on course reserve by completing a Instructor Reserve Request Form, either on line or in person at a reserve location.  The instructor is asked to supply his/her name, course name and course title, preferred loan period, preferred reserve location, length of time materials should remain on reserve, and a listing of the materials to place on reserve.

  • For instructor-owned materials, the items and a completed reserve request form should be delivered to the requested reserve location.
  • For library-owned materials, library personnel will retrieve the material and deliver it to the requested reserve location.

Instructors are notified when their material is on reserve and ready for student use. Please allow up to two weeks for processing.

At the end of the reserve duration the library will gladly return instructor-owned materials its owner, via campus mail, if requested.

Reserve Locations

  • JFK Library main-level circulation desk.
  • JFK Library lower-level circulation desk (mostly audio/video materials).
  • Riverpoint Campus Library circulation desk.

Types of Materials Placed on Course Reserve

  • Instructor-owned materials, such as textbooks, photocopy articles, or media.
  • Library-owned materials or media.
  • EWU catalogs and course announcements.
  • Other specially designated materials, such as test aids and university publications.

Reserve Formats

  • On-site materials, physically shelved at a reserve location.
  • Electronically (electronic reserves), with access provided on line from the library catalog.  Resources may include scanned pages, or links to other electronic sites.   Electronic reserves are generally password protected with access provided only to students in the associated class.

Copyright Questions

Would you like some guidance on copyright and fair use issues?  Then use EWU's Copyright & Fair Use Research Guide.  You will find useful information on common copyright and fair use topics.  Plus each topic has contact information for the best person on campus who can help you (see the Get Help tab for a full list).


Are you planning on adding, deleting or otherwise changing a course in your program?  Then you'll need to complete the paperwork for one or both of the Course and Program Approval Comittees (CPACs). 

*Be sure to also complete the CPAC Library Resources Form.

Distance Education Support

See Services for Distance Education for instructions on obtaining books and articles, as well as library research instruction for your students.

Linking to Articles in Your Canvas Site

While Canvas makes it easy to put up articles you have saved or scanned, doing so would be violating copyright. You have a couple options for adding articles legally.

If the article is full text in one of the library databases (i.e. Academic Search Complete or JSTOR), then find the permanent or persistent URL.  For the article to be accessible from off-campus, it must go through our proxy server.  Therefore the URL for our proxy server [] must go in front of the persistent URL of the article.  For more detailed information, see the Help sheet on linking to library articles or contact the JFK reference desk [509-359-2263] for help.

If the article doesn't have a unique URL or isn't full text, you can arrange to have it put on electronic reserve by contacting the Circulation Department.

Loan Periods

The most common loan periods are one hour, two hours, and one week.  Materials assigned hourly loan periods generally do not leave the library.

Research Instruction for Your Class

The Reference/Instruction Librarians at JFK Library and Riverpoint Campus Library can provide instruction on using library resources for your classes. This instruction can take a variety of forms, from face-to-face instruction in the Library Instruction Room at JFK or Riverpoint, to detailed online guides created for the specific class.

Contact either:

Purchasing Materials: Collection Development

Each department is given an allocation towards purchasing books, videos, journals and databases for their discipline. Each department has a library liaison to coordinate materials to purchase. On the library side, Sue Anderson is the Acquisitions Librarian. The Purchase Request form may be filled out only by authorized faculty. (Password required.)

For other suggestions of materials the library ought to purchase, please use our Suggest a Purchase form.

Useful databases for academic book reviews:


For Your Research

Check Out Periodicals

Periodicals may be checked out by faculty for 3 days/no renewals. (Fines are rather steep -- $5 per day/per item, so be sure to bring them back on time.)

Interlibrary Loan

Forms are available online to request articles, as well as books that aren't available in Summit. Click First Time Users to set up an individual account the first time you use the system. See Interlibrary Loan for more information.

Make a Suggestion

  Do you have a suggestion, compliment or concern that you'd like to share with the library?  Use our online form to send us your feedback.

Proxy Cards

You may authorize a research assistant to check out materials on your behalf. Contact the Circulation Department for the form. 

Renew Books & Review Account

Go to EWU Library Search and in the upper right of the screen sign in. This will give you access to see what you have checked out from EWU and other Summit libraries, and renew titles. Most EWU materials can be renewed two times before you have to bring them back. Summit materials cannot be renewed.

Riverpoint Campus Library

Because the Riverpoint Campus Library is shared with WSU, you have access to more databases, such as Social Sciences Citation Index (1990-present). But you have to be on the Riverpoint Campus to access these WSU databases.

Study Carrels in the Library

There are some lockable study carrels designated for faculty and graduate students working on their thesis. Contact the Circulation Department about availability.


© 2014 Eastern Washington University