Apply to EWU

Now that you have met the requirements, it’s time to apply and confirm and make sure you start the application process for a visa.

1. Apply for Admission

Once you have met the requirements, you are ready to apply. Apply online and follow the steps to create your account.

Apply Now

Pay Application Fee

There is a nonrefundable application fee of $60 U.S. It can be paid by check, bank draft or credit card. Eastern accepts MasterCard and Visa credit card payments.

If mailing your application fee and paying by credit card, please include a signed authorization letter that contains the following:

  • Student’s name
  • Student’s EWU ID (if assigned)
  • Credit card number and expiration date
  • Card holder’s name and address

OR Apply for Conditional Admission

If you don’t meet the English proficiency requirements, we can help. Improve your English at EWU and apply for conditional admittance. You must meet all of the regular university admission requirements except English proficiency. You will be issued an EWU conditional I-20.

You must answer the question: “How many quarters do you plan to study in the English Language Institute?”

Common Questions

Make the $50 application fee payable to Eastern Washington University. Checks and bank drafts must use U.S. currency.

If you are unable to provide a check or bank draft in U.S. dollars, you are welcome to pay the application fee by credit card. Simply include a letter signed by the credit card holder which includes the student’s name, the student’s EWU ID (if assigned), the credit card number and expiration date, and the card holder’s name and address.

Eastern accepts MasterCard and Visa credit card payments. A convenience fee of 2.75% of the payment amount will be charged per transaction.

A non-degree seeking student is an international student who attends EWU for one year or less and is not attempting to obtain a degree.

A U.S. transfer student is an international student who has been attending university or college in the United States and would like to transfer to Eastern Washington University. These students already have F-1 visa status.

2. If Accepted, You Must Confirm

To confirm your intent to enroll at EWU, complete these steps:

  1. Visit your application and log in with the same username/password information you used to apply.
  2. Click the link Your application decision is now available online and on the next screen you should see a Confirm Now button.
  3. Fill out the enrollment form.
  4. Use a credit card to pay the $250 (nonrefundable) enrollment fee.

3. Fill out your Form I-20

IF you have a J-1 Visa Status

Once confirmed, you will receive your I-20 from EWU. You will be able to apply for your visa following the rules established by the U.S. Consulate Office in your country. Be sure to apply early! It can take 60-90 days to apply for and receive a visa.

Maintaining your legal status is an important factor in being a successful international student.

US Consulate

Please contact International Student Services at EWU to request a Form DS-2019.

International Student Services
103 Hargreaves Hall
Cheney, WA 99004-2442
Phone: 509.359.2331

Carry your I-20 with you at all times when you are living or traveling in the United States.

4. Activate Your Eagles Email

All students need a NetID to apply for housing, register for classes and more. From here on out, please use your Eagles email for all contact with the university.

5. Apply for On-Campus Housing

New first-year students under the age of 21 are required to live on campus in the residence halls. Living on campus is an important part of a student’s first year at Eastern Washington University. It is important that you do this as soon as possible.

Apply For Housing

If you do not plan to live in campus housing, and you are not at least 21 years of age, you will be required to complete and submit an EWU Undergraduate Housing Exception Request form.

Print and complete the form. Email the form to the Housing Office at along with documentation (such as a marriage certificate for married students).

Not all exception requests are approved. Graduate students are not subject to the campus housing requirement.

Congratulations! 😊

Now that you have been accepted and confirmed, it’s time to apply for your Visa!