1. Check Your Eligibility
You can do Running Start during your junior and/or senior years of high school if you’re a Washington state student.
- If you have a 3.0 GPA, you can be automatically admitted
- If you have a GPA between 2.7 and 3.0, you’ll need a recommendation letter from a counselor or teacher that addresses your:
- time-management skills
- analytical thinking skills
- If you’re a homeschool student, you’ll need to enroll at a high school that is eligible for Running Start. To be considered for admission, you’ll need to submit:
- your homeschool transcripts and
- an SAT/PSAT score of 1100 or better or
- an ACT score of 24 or better or
- a letter of recommendation from a non-family member
2. Complete the Online Application
Complete the online EWU Running Start application.
- Application Review Begins: March 1, 2021
- Application Closes: September 1, 2021
Optional: Apply For the Book Loan Program
If you qualify for free/reduced lunch, you can apply for the Book Loan Program. The Book Loan Program allows you to borrow specific course textbooks rather than buying them for your classes
- Download the Book Loan Application PDF
- Fill out the form
- Obtain an official letter from your school district verifying you qualify for free or reduced lunch
- Submit both the form and the letter from your school district below
Upload Your Form and Letter
- Application Review: The Running Start office will review your application materials and notify you of your admission status by mail.
- Placement Testing: Once you’re admitted, you’ll receive everything you need to know about the English and math placement tests, which help determine classes you should take. You won’t need to pay any fees.
- Advising: We’ll reach out to you to schedule your first appointment.
- Student/Parent Orientation: During the last week of August, the Running Start office hosts an orientation session for new Running Start students and their parents. We’ll notify you of your orientation date.