Glossary of Terms View commonly used terms that may appear as part of the visa process at Eastern Washington University. en-us Thu, 18 Jan 2018 10:04:40 UTC Thu, 18 Jan 2018 10:04:40 UTC

Glossary of Terms

View commonly used terms that may appear as part of the visa process at Eastern Washington, out-of-country, foreign, exchange, student, non-U.S., EWU, Eastern, Eastern Washington University, Washington, Washington State, university, DIEO, OGI, Office of Global Initiatives, Division for International and Educational Outreach, admissions, admission, undergraduate, B.A., BA, visa, glossary, term, definition, acronym
Term or Acronym
ARO Alternate Responsible Officer. A person designated by a Department of State authorized exchange visitor program sponsor to support the Responsible Officer and maintain SEVIS data.
Authorized Overseas Study Overseas study authorized by a Primary/Designated School Official that contributes to completion of your program of study. This includes graduate research and formal classes or programs.
Continuing exchange visitor For purposes of nonimmigrant status, a continuing exchange visitor is one who maintains status in a single program.
Continuing student For purposes of nonimmigrant status, a continuing student is one who has not completed, or terminated, a program of study and has maintained status. Continuing students may, under certain circumstances, transfer schools while continuing to maintain status. F-1 and F-3 students may also change their level of study while continuing to maintain status.
DHS Department of Homeland Security
DoS Department of State
DSO Designated School Official. The person designated by a SEVP approved school to support the Principal Designated School Official and maintain SEVIS records.
Exchange visitor program sponsor The designated sponsor of a Department of State approved exchange visitor program.
F-1 Nonimmigrant status conferred on students attending SEVP approved academic institutions and language training programs who meet the requirements outlined in 8 CFR 214.2(f)(1).
F-2 Nonimmigrant status conferred on the spouse or minor child of an F-1 or F-3 student.
F-3 Border commuter students in academic institutions and language training programs.
Form DS-2019 Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status, created by DOS-approved exchange visitor program.
Form I-20 Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, created by SEVP-approved schools.
ICE Immigration and Customs Enforcement
J-1 Nonimmigrant status conferred on exchange visitors participating in DOS-approved exchange visitor programs.
J-2 Nonimmigrant status conferred on the spouse or minor child of an J-1 student
P/DSO Either a PDSO or a DSO.
Passport An official document from a person's country of citizenship that attests to their identity and status as a citizen.
PDF Adobe Acrobat standard file format
PDSO Primary Designated School Official. The person designated by a SEVP-approved school to have primary responsibility for students in that program and maintaining SEVIS records.
POE Port-of-Entry. The term port of entry means a port or place designated by DHS at which a person may apply for admission into the United States, including international airports, seaports and land ports of entry.
Receipt for SEVIS I-901 fee The I-797 or Internet generated receipt given to student or exchange visitor upon payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee.
RO Responsible Officer. The person designated by a Department of State authorized exchange visitor program sponsor to have primary responsibility for exchange visitors in that program and maintaining SEVIS records.
School An SEVP-approved academic or vocational institution or language training school.
SEVIS Student and Exchange Visitor Information System
SEVIS ID number The unique identifying number assigned to a student or exchange visitor within SEVIS that appears on the Form I-20 or DS-2019.
SEVP Student and Exchange Visitor Program
USCIS U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
Visa If you are a citizen of a foreign country, in most cases you'll need a visa to apply to enter the United States. A visa doesn't permit entry to the United States. A visa simply indicates that a U.S. consular officer at an American embassy or consulate reviewed your application and determined that you are eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose.

Consular affairs are the responsibility of the DoS. A visa allows you to travel to the United States as far as the POE. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States. (For more information on what to expect at the POE see )

There are two categories of U.S. visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant.

Immigrant visas are for people who intend to live permanently in the U.S. Nonimmigrant visas are for people with permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wish to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis for tourism, business, temporary work, study, or medical treatment.
Visa exempt Citizens of Canada or Bermuda or residents of certain other islands described in 8 CFR 212.1a, do not need a visa. These applicants for F-1, F-3, or J-1 nonimmigrant status may apply at the Port-of-Entry.

Terms and definitions are taken from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

Programs by College/School EWU Home Admissions Apply for Admission Academics at Eastern Life at EWU Search Athletics Upcoming Events News Community Resources EWU on TwitterTemplate/ewulogo.png

Future Students

AdmissionsAdmissions InformationUndergraduate Admissions Graduate Studies International Admissions Apply for Admission Visit EWU Request InfoCosts and AcademicsCosts and Tuition Net Price Calculator Financial Aid & Scholarships Academic Overview Programs by College/School Off-Campus Degree ProgramsCampus LifeLife at EWU About EWU Housing & Residential Life Study Abroad Veterans Resource Center EWU Greek LifePlanning AheadAdmitted Students New Student Orientation Academic Calendar Bookstore Campus Map Information for Counselors

Current Students RequestedStudent Employment Programs by College/School Student Activities myEWU Portal Technology BookstoreStudent ServicesFinancial Aid and Scholarships Student Financial Services Health and Wellness Disability Support Services Counseling & Psychological Services Academic AdvisingAcademic ResourcesCatalog Academic Calendar Records and Registration Online Learning EagleNET CanvasCampus ServicesHousing & Residential Life Dining Services Recreation @ EWU EWU Libraries Parking Services Career Services

Faculty & Staff

StaffEmployee ResourcesHuman Resources Benefits Payroll Student Employment Academic Calendar Eastern 24/7ServicesParking University Police Mail Services Commute Trip Reduction Dining Services Marketing & CommunicationsAdministration & BusinessBusiness & Finance Budget Services Office of the President Office of the Provost Contract Services Facilities & PlanningTechnologyInformation Technology Help Desk EmailexternalClassroom Technology OIT Project Management NetStorage

Alumni & Friends ConnectedAlumni Association Alumni Events Eastern Magazine Career Support Alumni Partnerships Office of AlumniSupport EWUGive Now EWU Foundation Ways to Give The Impact of Gifts Eagle Athletic Fund Planned GivingFriends of EWUBookstore Site Map Athletics Tickets Office EWU on Facebook Campus Recreation Visit EWUMost RequestedContinuing Education Events Photo Albums Alumni Gear Store EWU Events Calendar Alumni Search Give to EWU About EWU Site Map EWU Foundation Visit EWU Diversity EagleNET EWU Libraries Jobs Campus Locations Canvas Administration AccessibilityAlert InserttrueHome ~ Undergrad ~ International ~ Immigration and Visa Help ~ Glossary Request Info Freshman Transfer International Returning Visit EWU Tuition Life at EWU Cómo presentar una solicitud Admitted Students Information for Counselors Information for Families Pre-College Programs
Undergraduate Admissions Undergraduate Admissions weeklyUndergrad/International/Immigration-and-Visa-Help/Glossary.xmltruerssrssHTTP_ACCEPT:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:x-gzip, gzip, deflate HTTP_USER_AGENT:CCBot/2.0 ( HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO:https Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 Accept-Encoding: x-gzip, gzip, deflate Host: User-Agent: CCBot/2.0 ( X-Forwarded-For: X-Forwarded-Proto: https /LM/W3SVC/4/ROOTE:\Sites\external_dss\0CGI/1.1offtext/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8x-gzip, gzip, deflatewww.ewu.eduCCBot/2.0 (\Sites\external_dss\undergrad\international\immigration-and-visa-help\glossaryrss=true192.168.221.47192.168.221.47GET/undergrad/international/immigration-and-visa-help/glossarywww.ewu.edu800HTTP/1.0Microsoft-IIS/7.5/undergrad/international/immigration-and-visa-help/glossary (