Our Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
The EWU Libraries and Learning Commons are committed to provide and support a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment for all members of our diverse campus community. Our commitment reflects the long-standing pledge to DEI within the library profession and incorporates the diversity and inclusion goals of EWU Strategic Plan 2018-2023: We EMBRACE Equity and Social Justice.
EWU Libraries and Learning Commons strive to promote the value and importance of DEI and adhere to the principles and practices of DEI among our spaces, collections, services, and personnel throughout the organization:
- We support the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights affirming that all libraries are forums for information and ideas, and that seven basic policies should guide their services.
- We strive to balance access to, and ownership of, information resources that offer the widest possible range of viewpoints.
- We strive to ensure that our students, faculty and staff have equitable access to our resources.
- We strive to build a workplace culture that values and recognizes diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the organization as part of the core responsibilities of every employee.
- We actively participate in and support the celebration of DEI on campus through our diverse collections, inclusive programming, and collaborative efforts with campus and community partnerships.
- We join our fellow Orbis Cascade Alliance members in affirming our commitment to equity and inclusion: https://www.ewu.edu/library/stories/ewu-libraries-commitment-to-equity/