A Lifetime of Value

By earning a four-year degree, you’re more likely to have a higher-salary job and can easily switch careers.

Tuition Information

EWU has the lowest in-state tuition and fees of any public university in Washington. Making an amazing academic experience affordable is our commitment to you.

Compare Washington University Tuition

College costs are complex, and your financial situation is unique. That’s why there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to the question “how much will college cost me?” To help you make sense of your complex situation, you can use EWU calculators to estimate your costs and scholarships.

Freshmen Net Price Calculator

Transfer Net Price Calculator

Freshmen Scholarship Calculator

Compare Tuition & Fees**

When you compare EWU’s tuition and fees to the average of other Washington public universities, you can save up to $11,043 over four years.

 In-State Tuition & Mandatory FeesSource
Eastern Washington University$7,323Tuition and Mandatory Fees
The Evergreen State College$7,761TESU Tuition and Fees
Central Washington University$8,072CWU Cost of Attendance
Western Washington University$8,130WWU Tuition and Fee Schedule
WSU Everett$10,232WSU Everett Tuition and Fees (PDF)
WSU Vancouver$10,319WSU Vancouver Tuition and Fees (PDF)
WSU Tri-Cities$10,532WSU Tri-Cities Tuition and Fees (PDF)
UW Bothell$11,138UW Tuition and Fees (PDF)
UW Seattle$11,207UW Tuition and Fees (PDF)
UW Tacoma$11,261UW Tuition and Fees (PDF)
WSU Pullman$11,584WSU Pullman Tuition and Fees (PDF)

**EWU figures are for 2018-19. All costs at other universities are for the 2018-19 academic year and come from in-state costs and fees published on each university’s website as of July 31, 2018.

Tuition, Fees, and Direct Costs at EWU*

Student StatusIn-state ResidentWUE RecipientNon-Resident
Housing and Meals$12,057$12,057$12,057
Personal Expenses$1,830$1,830$1,830

*Based on the average nine-month direct cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate at the Cheney and Spokane campuses (subject to change). Some programs and self-support classes may have additional costs. Official university tuition policy is maintained by Student Financial Services.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

If you live in the following states, WUE can lower your cost of tuition by more than $14,000 each year.

MontanaNevadaNew Mexico
North DakotaOregonSouth Dakota
Mariana Islands (CNMI)

In-depth WUE Information

Showalter Hall at sunset

Residency and Tuition

The statutes and policies of the State of Washington define your residency status. Many factors help determine if you meet the eligibility requirements for in-state residency tuition. To qualify for in-state residency, most students need to live in Washington for at least one year before classes start.

Veterans, active duty service members and certain American Indian students will also qualify for in-state residence.

Remember: Official policies are determined and set by the Records and Registration Office.

Non-citizen students, who have graduated from a Washington high school and lived in the state for at least three years, may be eligible for in-state tuition at public institutions rather than being charged non-resident tuition.

To qualify for in-state tuition under this classification, a student must meet these criteria:

  • Graduate from a Washington state high school or obtain a GED or equivalent.
  • Live in Washington for at least three years prior to earning their high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Live in Washington continually since they earned their high school diploma or GED.
  • When eligible to apply, sign an affidavit (a written promise) affirming eligibility and promising to become a permanent resident/citizen of the United States.

Washington State’s 2014 Legislature passed the REAL Hope Act (SB 6523), also known as the Washington Dream Act, to expand eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to non-citizens who meet the same residency requirement under HB 1079 and program requirements. Visit the website to find the Washington Dream Act application process and requirements.

If you’re currently coded as an out-of-state resident but feel you may be eligible for in-state residency, please fill out the residency questionnaire.

Copy the necessary supporting documents and send the information to the Records and Registration office by the applicable deadlines.

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) helps out-of-state students lower the cost of tuition at EWU. Discover if you’re eligible.

Wondering whether you pay in-state or out-of-state tuition rates? The answer depends on your residency status, which is based on the information you provided in your admissions application.

Official, updated information about residency (including all forms and requirements necessary to prove or change your residency) can be found at Records and Registration.

Residency Information