Start Your Application
Fall 2023 Running Start Application is now available.
Check Your Eligibility
You can do Running Start during your junior and/or senior years of high school if you’re a Washington state student.
- If you have a 3.0 GPA, you can be automatically admitted.
- If you have a GPA between 2.7 and 3.0, you’ll need a recommendation letter from a counselor or teacher that addresses your:
- time-management skills
- analytical thinking skills
- If you’re a homeschool student, you’ll need to enroll at a high school that is eligible for Running Start. To be considered for admission, you’ll need to submit:
- your homeschool transcripts and
- a letter of recommendation from your high school counselor
Applications due dates:
Fall 2023, apply no later than September 1 2023.
Confirm Eligibility for the Book Loan Program
If you qualify for free or reduced-price lunch (FRPL) at your high school, you can enroll into the Book Loan Program. Students who are a part of the Book Loan Program borrow textbooks instead of paying for them and have course/lab fees covered by Running Start.
How to Enroll in the Book Loan Program
- Submit your Running Start application, get accepted, and complete your newly admitted next steps.
- Meet with your Running Start advisor.
- After you meet with your Running Start advisor, you will receive your Enrollment Verification Form (EVF). On the EVF, make sure your high school counselor marks “YES” under “Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Status.” Submit the EVF by the quarterly EVF deadline.
- Instead of the EVF, you can email a letter from your school district to email@example.com showing your FRPL You still need to submit the EVF by the quarterly deadline regardless.