Spokane Transit Adds Swoop Loop
Swoop Loop Video
Surrounded by golden, rolling hills and basalt outcroppings, the EWU campus is an ideal place for learning. Our immersive student-faculty community is designed to keep you focused and supported.
EWU is one of the most diverse college campuses in the Pacific Northwest.Our Commitment
Our 300-acre campus is gorgeous. Come see why 88% of visiting students choose Eastern.Schedule a Tour
Expanding opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.Meet the Team
Founded: April 3, 1882
Campus: Cheney, Washington
Campus Acreage: 300
Academic Calendar: Quarters
Mascot: Swoop the Eagle
School Colors: Red and White
Enrollment: 12,607 (fall 2017)
Female: 55% | Male: 45%
International Students: 4%
Top 3: Saudi Arabia, China and Vietnam
Average GPA: 3.23
SAT: 1000 | ACT: 21
Transfer Students: 42%
Financial Aid Distributed: $135 million
Alumni population: 100,000+
Washington state: 75,000+
Spokane County: 37,000+
Graduates who are employed within 6 months: 93%
Employers hiring the largest numbers of EWU graduates:
Swoop Loop Video
EWU is one of the safest public university campuses in Washington, and one of the top 100 safest campuses in the United States*. In fact, local families love to visit campus for picnics, childcare and even for trick-or-treating. The biggest contributor to such a safe campus is the shared commitment of faculty, staff and students.
*According to the National Council for Home Safety and Security
We have our own police force on campus. The campus police officers are a friendly team that work closely with the local police and fire departments. Be sure to say “Hi” if you see them on your campus tour or at a special event.
Each year, Eastern Washington University publishes its Annual Security and Fire Report. This report includes crime statistics. It also outlines EWU’s security policies and procedures in the event of a campus emergency.
In 1882, the Benjamin P. Cheney Academy opened its doors to more than 200 enrolling students. A generous contribution of $10,000 from Benjamin P. Cheney, a wealthy transportation industrialist, had at last fulfilled the dreams of Cheney citizens who had long desired an institute for higher learning in their community.
The academy became the State Normal School at Cheney in 1889, the same year in which Washington was given its statehood. The school was proudly designated as an institution “for the purpose of instruction of persons, both male and female, in the art of teaching the various branches that pertain to a good common school.”
By the time it became Eastern Washington College of Education in 1937, Eastern was already a fully accredited four-year, degree-granting institution, offering majors in numerous subjects.
The campus grew rapidly in size and program offerings in the decades following World War II. In 1961, the name was again changed, this time to Eastern Washington State College. It was increasingly evident that the region needed professionals in many fields; in response, Eastern added a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Finally, in 1977, the state Legislature changed the school’s name to Eastern Washington University.