Graduate Students

How to Apply for Graduate Admission

For admissions application requirements and deadlines, please consult the department page that you are applying to.


Complete Application

Complete the application and submit the nonrefundable $75 application fee*. This fee cannot be waived unless you’re a McNair Scholar.

You’ll need to submit an application fee every time you apply to a graduate program (excluding the dual programs: MBA/MPA, MPA/MURP, MPA/MSW). Only one fee is assessed for dual-degree applicants.

* These programs charge an additional program application fee: Dental Hygiene ($50), Occupational Therapy ($50), and Physical Therapy ($50).

Apply Online


Submit Transcripts

Submit one copy of your official transcripts from all colleges and universities where you’ve earned credit.

Official transcripts may be mailed to us in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution or submitted electronically via eSCRIP-SAFE , National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.

If your institution needs to mail your official transcripts, they should be sent to:

Office of Graduate Studies
206 Showalter Hall
Cheney, WA 99004

If you have previously attended EWU:

You don’t need to order official EWU transcripts. Only submit transcripts from schools you’ve attended since your previous EWU admission (if any).

Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Communication Sciences & Disorders applicants:

At the time you apply, your official transcripts should be submitted directly to PTCAS, OTCAS, or CSDCAS, rather than to EWU Graduate Studies.


Submit GRE & GMAT Test Scores

If required by your program, submit official score reports from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). EWU’s Institutional code for sending scores is 4301.

Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Communication Sciences & Disorders applicants:

At the time you apply, your official GRE scores should be submitted directly to PTCAS, OTCAS, or CSDCAS, rather than to EWU Graduate Studies.


Submit Program-Specific Items

Many EWU graduate programs require additional items like personal statements, references, résumés, academic writing samples, or other items. You can find these requirements on your program’s website or via our Graduate Programs page.


Graduate Student Admission Requirements

Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.

Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the most recent 90 quarter or 60 semester graded credits of post-secondary academic coursework. This includes any previous graduate coursework. For students who do not meet this standard, the Director of Graduate Studies may, with the written recommendation of the program director, approve admission based upon other considerations.

International students who are not native speakers of English must provide evidence of adequate proficiency in the English language before being admitted to graduate study. English proficiency requirements are provided on our International Graduate Students page.

These are the minimum admission requirements for graduate study. Each graduate program will have its own additional criteria, which you can find at the department page for your program.

For applicants who do not meet these requirements, graduate programs may seek approval from Graduate Studies for an exemption based on other qualifications. Please consult with your intended graduate program if this applies to you.

Checking Your Application Status

For the most up-to-date information on your application status:

  1. Login to your EWU Graduate Admissions application. Use the Login ID and PIN you created. If you forgot your Login ID (case-sensitive) or PIN, please contact Graduate Studies by phone to have it reset: 509.359.6297.
  2. Click the Admission Term link under Processed Applications to check your status in the Application Summary.
  3. Under Application Summary, the “Application Status” field will tell you whether or not your application is complete.

For a more complete list of steps, click Checking Your Application Status.

If your status indicates “Incomplete items outstanding”:

  1. Review the “Requirements” section to see which items have been received and which have not.
  2. If no date appears in the “Received” column, then that item is incomplete.

Please be aware that, during peak admissions periods, there may be some delay between when an application document arrives to our office and when it is processed and marked with a “Received” date in your Application Summary. We appreciate your patience during these busy times.

Admission decisions vary by program. Check with your program to find out when they notify applicants of admission decisions. You will receive a decision letter in the mail.

If you’re not admitted, remember that each program makes its own admission decisions based on their own established criteria. For specific reasons behind the decision, please contact the graduate program.

Student Stories

“I thought I could be the sort of person who would seek deeper life satisfaction outside of my job, but after two and a half years in the corporate world, I realized I was not that person. Healthy human relationships, connections between people, have always been very important to me. Getting my Master’s in Social Work seemed to align with that.” 

Tracie earned her undergraduate degree from Whitworth University in Sociology and Peace Studies. After graduation, she vowed to travel and explore her options. She did two stints with Americorps,  teaching at a job skills training café on Whidbey Island and working with Habitat for Humanity in Seattle. Tracie’s lived on a sailboat with her husband in the Puget Sound area and worked as an Event Coordinator at Amazon before making the decision to pursue her master’s at EWU.

Currently, Tracie works for Spokane Public School’s HEART (Homeless Education and Resource Team) Program. This federally mandated program identifies homeless students within school populations and provides services to support the educational rights of those students. She enjoys advocating for unaccompanied high schoolers. Growing up, Tracie remembers her mother often opened up their home to others who experienced difficulties. She credits her mother with passing on her sense of compassion and the belief that we should take care of one another.

Dilli, a Master’s in Public Health student, has a special reason to see himself working in refugee camps in the future. Growing up, he lived with his family in a refugee camp in Nepal for 16 years. It breaks his heart that most camps are unable to provide refugees with a basic social structure and education. More and more refugee camps have been created around the world to give shelter to growing populations of displaced people. This has stretched available resources impossibly thin.

Dilli and his family were resettled in Lansing, Michigan, where he attended university at Grand Rapids and earned his undergraduate degree in speech pathology. Looking back on his experience, he says, “I think people underestimate the pleasure of unstructured life, but at times, fun can be had unexpectedly.”

Dilli hopes to bring his personal experience and the skills he is attaining with his Master’s in Public Health to maximize resource management and aid. He will work to find practical solutions to improve the lives of refugees.

Our Faculty & Research

Eastern’s more than 500 graduate faculty members are active scholars, dedicated teachers and mentors. Their expertise will empower you to engage in a variety of supervised and independent research, giving you the professional preparation required for specialized practice in your chosen field.

The university is awarded millions of dollars each year in competitive grants from external funding agencies for research, training and service. Eastern’s graduate students benefit from well-funded research facilities and student-centered faculty of a comprehensive university.

Follow us on Facebook for news about graduate faculty and student research, activities, and Graduate Studies updates

Graduate Studies Facebook

Take a Graduate Class

Do you want to take a graduate-level class or two without being admitted to a graduate program? Under most circumstances, you must be admitted to a graduate program to register for a graduate class. However, you may be able to enroll for a term of coursework as a non-degree-seeking (NDS or “non-matriculated”) student with the approval of the academic department that offers the course(s).

NDS Application