Undocumented Students

EWU’s admissions team can help you navigate the process of applying for admission and financial aid.


Eastern Washington University is committed to building a community that celebrates and promotes the differences among all people. We promote a learning environment characterized by inclusiveness. We value the awareness and understanding of each other’s differences and similarities and strive to treat all with dignity and respect.

EWU can’t provide legal counsel or advice on your situation. But, if you’re a prospective student, you can contact your EWU admissions advisor. You admissions advisor may be able to help you find resources for your specific situation. They can also help you navigate the process of applying for admission and financial aid at EWU.

Contact your admissions advisor

Financial Aid

Follow the link for information about grants and scholarships for undocumented students. This includes information on how to file for in-state tuition benefits and how to apply for the Washington Application for Student Financial Aid (WASFA).

Undocumented Student Aid

Residency Requirements

Follow the link for information about how undocumented, in-state students may qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079.

Undocumented Student Aid

Additional Information

For questions about how your immigration status affects your admission, enrollment or help finding resources, contact EWU’s enrollment advocate.

Immigration Equality
Represents and advocates for people from around the world fleeing violence, abuse and persecution. Immigration Equality provides a helpful FAQ about the DACA program.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
This website is run by the Department of Homeland Security. Use it to download the forms you need to apply for DACA status. You can also use this DACA PDF to help you track your progress through the application process.

Washington State Legislation and Information (HB 1079)
HB 1079 is a Washington state law passed in 2003. It allows undocumented students who meet certain requirements to pay in-state tuition rates for college.

The Real Hope Act (also known as SB 6523)
A Washington state law passed in 2014, also called the REAL Hope Act. This Washington law helps undocumented students who meet certain requirements qualify for state need grants.

Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)
Helps eligible students access financial aid for college. Even if you’re not eligible for federal aid, you may be eligible for state aid.

Educators for Fair Consideration
A San Francisco-based non-profit organization that helps undocumented young people to pursue their dreams of college, career and citizenship in the United States. The program is designed by and for undocumented young people with support from committed allies.

Northwest Immigrant Rights Project
Northwest Immigrant Rights Project promotes justice for low-income immigrants by pursuing and defending their legal status. They focus on providing direct legal services, supported by their education and public policy work.

If you’re a member or veteran of the U.S. armed forces, you may be eligible for special naturalization programs. Contact EWU’s enrollment advocate or EWU’s Veterans Resource Center for information about resources for armed forces members and veterans.

EWU Veteran’s Resource Center

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services  (USCIS)
A government agency that oversees immigration to the United States. USCIS has established a toll-free military helpline for members of the military and their families: 1.877.CIS.4MIL (1.877.247.4645)
USCIS answers calls Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. (CST), excluding federal holidays.

Online Help

EWU doesn’t provide legal advice to students, so if you’re looking for legal assistance for your personal immigration situation, you’ll want to talk to a licensed attorney who is an expert on immigration or refugee law.

The resources below may help you identify people and organizations who can provide confidential and professional legal advice. You can also contact EWU’s enrollment advocate. Although he can’t provide legal advice, he may be able to help you find resources for your specific situation.

Northwest Immigrant Rights Project

Promotes justice by defending and advancing the rights of immigrants through direct legal services, systemic advocacy and community education. If you’re a student in Washington and meet eligibility requirements, NWIRP may be able to help you with your situation.

Catholic Charities of Spokane

Provides social services in 13 counties in eastern Washington. They also provide immigration and refugee legal services. If they can’t help you, they can refer you to local resources that can.

American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)

A national association of more than 14,000 attorneys and law professors who practice and teach immigration law. Use this website for research or to search for attorneys who may be able to help you with your immigration situation.

Washington State Bar Association (WSBA)

Regulates lawyers and serves as the professional association for lawyers in Washington. Use this website to help find attorneys or find resources for legal help.

Immigrant Legal Resource Center

The ILRC is a national organization that trains attorneys, paralegals and community-based advocates who work with immigrants. You might find the site helpful if you’re seeking training on immigration issues, looking for general legal information or performing immigration research.