- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Dental HygieneWe are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.
310 N Riverpoint Blvd., Suite 160
Spokane, WA 99202
We are pleased that you have expressed interest in Eastern Washington University, and particularly in the Dental Hygiene Department.
Completion of the dental hygiene curriculum requires a minimum of four full academic years of study. The first two years focus on a broad spectrum of courses, which include general education core requirements, competencies, and proficiencies, as well as basic science courses, that prepare students for the dental hygiene major. Once admitted to the program, students combine dental hygiene lecture and clinical coursework over a two-year period. Upon satisfactory completion of program and university requirements, students receive a Bachlor of Science in Dental Hygiene degree.
Dental hygiene graduates are eligible to take national, regional, and state licensing examinations. Successful completion of the examinations enable baccalaureate dental hygienists to seek employment in private dental practices, health clinics, school programs, public health programs, hospitals, nursing homes, industrial clinics, college dental hygiene programs, corporations, and research. Employment opportunities for dental hygienist are good; excellent in some rural areas. The dental hygiene faculty at Eastern consists of full-time and part-time dental hygienists and dentists. Their diverse educational backgrounds and strong clinical expertise provide an excellent professional learning atmosphere for students.
Please call or e-mail if you have any questions regarding the dental hygiene department.
The following information may be useful to you:
- Tours of the dental hygiene department (on the Spokane campus only), can be scheduled by calling the Dental Hygiene Office at: 509.828.1317 (at least one week in advance of your planned arrival).
- Tours of the Eastern Washington University Cheney campus can be scheduled by calling the Admissions office at: 509.359.2397 (at least one week in advance of your planned arrival).
- Cheney Campus housing: 509.359.2451.
- Financial Aid Office: 509.359.2314.
- Eastern Washington University website: http://www.ewu.edu/Home.xml
- Dental Hygiene Department website: http://www.ewu.edu/CSHE/Programs/Dental-Hygiene.xml
Applications will be accepted beginning the first Friday of January 2015.
The final deadline for 2015 pre-admission applications is February 15th, 2015.
Accepted students in the 2015 admissions cycle will begin in the fall of 2016.
The selection process involves a competitive ranking of major and minor factors.
MAJOR FACTORS WILL INCLUDE:
|MINOR FACTORS WILL INCLUDE:|
One of the following must be completed in order to apply:
- 20 documented hours of observation of dental hygienist(s) in practice (in one or more offices). Please download the observation hours form to document your hours.
- 20 documented hours of volunteer work (in one or more dental offices).
- 3 documented months of paid employment, full or half-time (in one or more dental offices).
NOTE: Dental office experience opportunities (with the exception of #1 above) may be limited if Hepatitis B vaccine series has not been initiated or completed.