- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Business & Marketing Education (BAE)A BAE: Business & Marketing Education (BME) allows a graduate to teach any business or marketing subject at the junior high, middle, or high school levels in Washington State. Students also obtain a Career & Technical Education Certificate.
668 N. Riverpoint Blvd
Spokane, WA 99202
Career & Technical Education (CTE) Plan 2/Business and Industry Route
CTE Plan 2/Business and Industry Route
Plan 2/Business and Industry Route teacher certification is a short program for teacher candidates who possess 6,000 paid industry work experience in a specific area. The certificate allows teacher candidates to teach only in that specific area.
The EWU Plan 2 requirements are defined by the OSPI CTE Initial Certification requirements as follows:
Have completed a Washington Professional Standards Board approved program for the business and industry route, and
- Document 3 years (6,000 hours) of occupational experience in the specific CTE subcategory/specialty area for which certification is sought. A minimum of 2,000 hours must be paid industry occupational hours. The remaining 4,000 hours may be a combination of occupational hours and teaching hours. Teaching hours are calculated at the rate of 180 hours per class period per year and must be verified by a school district. One year (2,000 hours) must be within the past 6 years. If any of the 2,000 hours is more than 6 years old, 300 hours of the experience must be within the past 2 years. Verification can be letters from past employers (indicating how long you worked for them); pay stubs; w2's and volunteer hours that can be verified by the agency/entity where you did your volunteer work.
For BIOMEDICAL and BIOTECHNOLGY may use all 6,000 hours of teaching experience in Biology. For STEM, all 6,000 hours of teaching experience in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Math can be used.
When you complete this Plan 2 program, you will be able to apply to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) for a Washington State CTE Initial certificate to teach in grades 7-12 ONLY in your specialty area of certification. You will also be certified to teach work-site learning and career choices. Review the OSPI V Code Certification chart to determine your specialty area and/or visit the OSPI website for further details.
CTE Plan 2 Certification Registration Process:
We welcome you to join the EWU Plan 2 program by starting in the Spring quarter which has an April 3, 2017start date!
Step 1: View the CTE Plan 2 Requirements flyer for program requirements and the one-year or two-year course sequence plan.
Step 2: All credit and clock hour students are required to complete and submit the EWU Plan 2 Program Application.
Step 3: Once your Program Application is approved, you need to register with the correct department; either Eastern Online for credit courses or EWU Continuing Education for continuing education/clock hour courses.
- For those who do NOT have a valid WA teaching license or who want to earn undergraduate credit, register for the Plan 2 classes for credit with Eastern Online at https://sites.ewu.edu/easternonline/registration/. Note: a CTE conditional or probationary license is not consider a valid WA teaching license for this program. Contact EWU Eastern Online for registration support for credit earning students.
- For those who currently have a valid WA teaching license and choose NOT to earn credit, register for the Plan 2 classes as continuing education (and for clock hours, if you choose) with EWU Continuing Education at: https://commerce.cashnet.com/EWUECPAY. Contact EWU Continuing Education for registration support for clock hour earning students.
- Credit earning tuition (offered through EWU Eastern Online): is $278/credit, see website: https://access.ewu.edu/student-financial-services/cost-and-fees/special-program-tuition-rates. plus additional online fees found at https://sites.ewu.edu/easternonline/cost/. Contact EWU Eastern Online for tuition questions.
- Clock hour (offered through EWU Continuing Education): Each course are $550 + clock hour fees* (1 credit = 10 clock hours. 10 clock hours cost $20). The Practicum course is $137.50 + clock hour fees* (*Clock hours are optional). Contact EWU Continuing Education for tuition questions.
What will I study?
In order to serve the busy individual, all courses are offered online and do not require any in-person classes. See the course descriptions for more information on each class.
For those who do NOT have a valid WA teaching license or who want to earn undergraduate credit, you are required to complete the following courses:
- CTED 300 Introduction to Career and Technical Education (4)
- CTED 301 Philosophy of Career and Technical Education (4)
- CTED 309 CTE Classroom Management (4)
- CTED 341 CTE Secondary Strategies (4)
- CTED 474 Administration of Work-Site Education (4)
- CTED 485 Management of CTE Practicum (1)
- CTED 492 CTE Professional Portfolio (4)
For those who currently have a valid WA teaching license and choose NOT to earn credit, you are required to complete the following courses (note: you may pay for clock hours for the clock hour courses; however, clock hour courses cannot be changed to credit at any time):
- ZCTE 300: Intro to CTE (40 clock hours available)
- ZCTE 301: Philosophy of CTE (40 clock hours available)
- ZCTE 474: Administration of Worksite Education (40 clock hours available)
- ZCTE 485: Management of CTE Practicum (10 clock hours available)
- ZCTE 492: Professional Portfolio (40 clock hours available)