- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Public AdministrationThe Master of Public Administration degree prepares people for leadership roles in organizations that provide public services or have important interactions with public service organizations. The EWU MPA program's approach to this task is...Donate
"reflective practice with a twist."
668 N Riverpoint Blvd, Suite A
Spokane, WA 99202
Public Administration (MPA)
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program is designed to provide widely varied educational opportunities in the fields of public and not-for-profit management. Graduate study opportunities are available for those currently employed as well as for recent graduates seeking a career in the public service. Both full-time and part-time study programs are available on a degree and non-degree basis.
Students are encouraged to become aware of the public service environment, the values that guide public service and the critical and analytical skills necessary to formulate, implement and evaluate public service decisions.
Program faculty, all of whom hold doctoral degrees and have public service management experience, have been selected from the several academic areas most pertinent to public sector applications. Adjunct faculty are highly trained, qualified and experienced academics and practitioners.
The MPA Program is accredited by the NASPAA Commission on Peer Review and Accreditation and listed on the Annual Roster of Accredited Programs in conformity with NASPAA standards.
What are the degree options?
- The College of Business and Public Administration offers the following Public Administration degrees:
- Master of Public Administration
- Advanced Standing Masters of Public Administration
- Master of Public Administration with Health Service Administration Specialization
- Public Management Development Certificates Program
- Dual Masters degrees include:
- Master of Public Administration/Master of Business Administration
- Master of Public Administration/Master of Social Work
- Master of Public Adminsitration/Master of Urban and Regional Planning
What can I do with my degree?
Our graduates go into a wide variety of careers. A survey of graduates from the 2012-2014 academic year found that 52% of our graduates went to work (or continued working) at some level of government: 3.4% national or central government; 28% state, provincial, or regional (including state universities); 17% city, county or other local government; 3.4% foreign government. 14% went into the non-profit sector, while 28% went into the private sector. Just 7% are still seeking employment.
The majority of students in the MPA program are in-service students. As such, according the most recent alumni survey, 38% continued in the jobs held before enrollment. 8% obtained a job before graduation, while 8% were employed within 3 months. 15% were employed within 4-6 months of graduation and another 15% within 7-12 months. Only 8% have not obtained a job since graduating.
How long does it take to graduate?
This depends on whether one is a full-time or part-time student. 20-25% of our students complete the program within 18 months and 50% graduate within 36 months. Some students requrie more time, for one is allowed to take up to 6 years to complete the program.
How much will it cost?
|Tuition Type||Per credit||Full-time (10-18 Credits)||Add'l fee over 18 credits, per credit|
|Note: Part-Time students are charged for a minimum of two credits.|
**Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
Eastern Washington University is a member of the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE). This program reduces non-resident tuition for eligible out-of-state students. Participating states are (AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, ND, OR, SD, UT, WY). Click here for more information.
For more information, visit the Student Financial Services page.
- Master of Public Administration
- Advanced Standing Master of Public Administration
- Public Management Development Certificates
- Health Services Administration Certificate
- Dual Degree: Master of Public Administration and Master of Business Administration
- Dual Degree: Master of Public Administration and Master of Social Work
- Dual Degree: Master of Public Administration and Master of Urban and Regional Planning