Student Trustee Application Process
The Student Trustee represents all EWU students and holds full rights and voting privileges granted to all members of the Eastern Washington University Board of Trustees, with the exception of voting on matters relating to the hiring, discipline, or tenure of faculty members and personnel.
If you have any questions about the position, please email Chandalin Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average at Eastern Washington University.
- Must have been an EWU student for at least three consecutive quarters and continue to be a student in good standing at EWU during their term in office.
- It is suggested that applicants have a general knowledge of the legislative process in the state of Washington and a basic understanding of the functions of the Eastern Washington University Board of Trustees, and a strong desire to represent all Eastern Washington University students.
It is encouraged that the Student Trustee:
- Have flexibility to attend ASEWU student government council business meetings.
- Have a working relationship with the faculty and staff throughout the university.
- Serve as a liaison between the student population and EWU entities.
The time commitment as a student trustee is open-ended. The mandatory time commitment are the two-day regular board meetings, retreat, and potentially any special meetings that get called.
Trustees complete an annual engagement plan that helps define some of the activities they will be involved in throughout the year. It is important for the Student Trustee to have a basic understanding of the campus climate and student issues at hand. One way to do this is by surveying students in a variety of ways. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Meeting with student organizations.
- Attending events on campus, ranging from social events to demonstrations.
- Holding campus/community forums.
- Keeping in touch with the student governing body and working with the ASEWU president on hosting events
After all applications have been reviewed, the Student Trustee Recommendation Committee will select candidates to be interviewed. Applicants will be notified for a potential interview time.
The Student Trustee Recommendation Committee is composed of the following:
- One (1) administrator, chosen by the chair of the Board of Trustees
- One (1) member of the Board of Trustees, chosen by the chair of the Board of Trustees
- One (1) faculty-at-large member, nominated by the president of the Faculty Organization and approved by the ASEWU Council.
- One (1) classified staff member, nominated by the president of Local 931 and approved by the ASEWU Council.
- Three (3) students chosen by the ASEWU Council.
Following interviews and internal deliberations, the chair of the Student Trustee Recommendation Committee will send a list of candidates, of at least three and not more than five, to the governor’s office in Olympia.
Once the final candidates have been reviewed by the governor, one candidate will be selected and recommended for approval in the Washington State Senate. That candidate’s information will be forwarded to the Eastern Washington University Board of Trustees for orientation as a new member of the Board.