The Alumni-Funded Undergraduate Research Grant was established in 2013 to support research done by undergraduate Geology students at Eastern Washington University. The grant was initiated from a generous donation from a former student who graduated from EWU with a B.S. in Geology in 2003 and from Baylor University with a Ph.D. in Geology. He is currently a research geologist and technical team leader at Exxon Mobil in Houston, TX where he works with others to predict the presence of oil/gas reservoirs in remote and under-explored parts of the world.
Application Deadline: Second Friday of the fall, winter, and spring quarters.
- Applicants must be an EWU undergraduate student with a major declared in Geology (B.S. or B.A.) or Environmental Science (with an emphasis in Geology).
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA in his/her geology/environmental science courses, and at least an EWU 3.0 GPA overall.
- A professor in the Department of Geology must supervise student research.
- All application materials must be received by the deadline.
Use of Funds:
A student in good standing may be awarded a maximum of $300 during their time at EWU. Funds may be used for:
- field or lab supplies,
- sample analyses, or
- travel expenses required for fieldwork and/or sample analyses.
Funds may not be used for personal field gear (e.g., hiking boots), salary, travel expenses for a professional meeting, tuition, or textbooks.
Those who receive an award are expected to:
- present their work at the EWU Research and Creative Works Symposium or other professional meetings and
- submit a final report to the Geology Department immediately following the completion of the project.
The report should detail how the award was spent, a summary of the research, and a list of any publications or presentations given at the EWU Research and Creative Works Symposium or professional meetings generated by this research.
- Complete the application form (PDF).
- Submit an electronic copy and one hard copy each to the Department Secretary, the Department Chair, and your faculty advisor on the second Friday of the fall, winter, or spring quarters.
- Recipients will be announced by the fourth week of the quarter.