- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
Cheney CampusInformation about the Eastern Washington University campus in Cheney, WA.Visit EWU
(For street address information
choose from the links above.)
The academy became the State Normal School at Cheney in 1889, the same year in which Washington was given its statehood. The school was proudly designated as an institution "for the purpose of instruction of persons, both male and female, in the art of teaching the various branches that pertain to a good common school."
By the time it became Eastern Washington College of Education in 1937, Eastern was already a fully accredited four-year, degree-granting institution, offering majors in numerous subjects.
The campus grew rapidly in size and program offerings in the decades following World War II. In 1961, the name was again changed, this time to Eastern Washington State College. It was increasingly evident that the region needed professionals in many fields; in response, Eastern added a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Finally, in 1977, the state Legislature changed the school's name to Eastern Washington University.
For more information about the early years and history of Eastern please visit the city of Cheney's history webpage here.
For more historical information about the buildings at Eastern, click here.
For a chronological list of events at EWU from 1880-2005, click here.
For EWU's 125th anniversary historical timeline, click here.