October 21 News & Kudos
October 6, 2021
Alumni summer research
- Joel Price (’21) did a presentation at the American Vacuum Society (AVS) 2021 conference about the optical properties of LaNiFeO3, based on his research this summer at PNNL with Dr. Stoke. He won first place for the undergraduate presentations.
- Andrés Aragoneses will give a presentation on the Science in the work of Salvador Dalí, at The Hive (Spokane Public Libraries), on Saturday October 23rd at 14:30.
Nobel price 2021
- Not to the department, but we’ll continue working hard:
- Chemistry The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2021 was awarded jointly to Benjamin List and David W.C. MacMillan “for the development of asymmetric organocatalysis.”
- Physics The Nobel Prize in Physics 2021 was awarded “for groundbreaking contributions to our understanding of complex systems” with one half jointly to Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann “for the physical modelling of Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming” and the other half to Giorgio Parisi “for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales.”