Current & Returning Students

It’s time to meet with your Running Start advisor!

If you completed the newly admitted steps, please complete these steps to finish your advising and enrollment process.


Find the Term Deadline

What to Do:

  1. Decide which term you would like to start. The following steps must be complete by the term deadline in order to be enrolled.
Desired Start TermMust Complete By
Fall 2024September 13, 2024

Meet with Your Running Start Advisor

You will meet with your Running Start advisor to discuss scheduling and courses. Your advisor will contact you only after you have completed all of the newly admitted steps. 

What to Do: 

  1. Check your EWU email for an invitation to make an advising appointment.
  2. Check your EWU email for confirmation of the meeting appointment and a Zoom link.
  3. Attend your Running Start advisor meeting.

Submit Your Enrollment Verification Form

Following the meeting with your Running Start advisor, you will receive an enrollment verification form (EVF) via email. Fall 2024 EVF deadline is September 13th at 4pm. 

What to Do:

  1. Check your EWU email for the EVF form.
  2. You, your parent/guardian and high school counselor need to sign the EVF.
    • If you qualify for free or reduced-price lunch (FRPL) at your high school, make sure your high school counselor marks “YES” under “Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Status.” Alternatively, you can email a letter from your school district to showing you are eligible for FRPL.
  3. Email your completed and signed EVF by the quarterly deadline to

What to Know:

  • EVFs control your registration during your time in Running Start.

Get Ready for Class

What to Do:

  1. Sign into Navigate Student using your Username and password.
  2. Sign into Canvas to see courses.
  3. Get your EagleCard.
  4. Get your books and materials at the EagleStore.
  5. Check out our in-person and virtual events!

Submit Your Immunization Records

What You Need:

  • Your EWU email.
  • MMR immunization documentation you can upload to a website.

What to Do:

  1. Go to EWU Counseling and Wellness website on Immunizations
  2. Follow the instructions to upload your documents

What to Know:

  • All students are required to show verification of measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) immunity, or complete the medical/religious waiver.
  • You can find information about requirements, exceptions, and policies on our Immunizations page.

Running Start Advisors

Click "About" to see which advisor your school has been assigned to. Make an appointment with them through Navigate Student.

Dave Dupey

Running Start

Pronouns: He/him/his

Mike Eliassen

Running Start

Pronouns: He/him/his

Sheri Frantilla

Running Start

Pronouns: She/her(s)

Claire Poshusta, MFA

Running Start

Pronouns: She/her(s)

School District Graduation Plans

Graduation plans show which EWU courses are equivalent to high school graduation requirements by school district. Download your school district’s graduation plan.


No. You must meet with a Running Start advisor prior to plan out your courses for the upcoming quarter.

No. You must meet with a Running Start advisor. Following this meeting, you will then receive your EVF via email.

No. You only register in the advising appointment in your first quarter at Running Start. After your first quarter, you will plan your courses in your advising appointment with your Running Start advisor, and then register yourself once your EVF is turned in and registration opens.

You can either book an appointment online using Navigate Student or by calling our front desk at 509.359.6155.

It depends on when in the quarter you would like to do so.

  • Prior To or During Registration: You can email your Running Start advisor and ask to change a course you had planned to take. Please state the reason for the change and what course you would rather take. An advisor will look over the replacement course and help you with the next steps.
  • After Registration: You can always drop a course prior to the final drop date without any issue. Once you have dropped the unwanted course, you can then register for the course you have chosen to replace it.
  • One Week Into the Quarter: You will need to submit a withdrawal form to our office. Once the form is approved (typically takes 3–5 days), withdraw yourself from the unwanted course. Then you can register for the replacement course.

You will need to submit a withdrawal form to our office. Once the form is approved (typically takes 3–5 days), withdraw yourself from the unwanted course. Your course will be taken down from your Canvas at that point. If you withdraw from a course after the drop date, you will receive a “W” grade on your transcript.

We will not accept appointment-making calls or emails from parents, as we believe it is the student’s responsibility to set these important appointments. We will make an exception to this if the student has a valid health concern or other serious matter where making a call would not be possible.

No. You must have an appointment with a Running Start Advisor over Zoom or in-person in our office on the Cheney campus.

In the midst of the quarter, you will need to ask your teacher about your current course grade. At the end of a quarter, following finals week, you can find all your course grades on your EagleNet account. All Running Start students follow the same grading policies as general EWU students. For more information regarding EWU grading policies, please visit Grade Information (Students).

Note: Your Running Start Advisor is not informed of your current course grades and will not know your final grades until they are posted at the end of the quarter.

Yes. Being a part of Running Start means that you have the opportunity to take college courses earlier in your life than some of our general student population, but that doesn’t mean you are treated any differently by teachers or staff. EWU expects all its Running Start students to adhere and follow all rules and regulations set by the university.

What is FERPA and what do I need to know?

Since Running Start students are treated the same as the general population, FERPA applies to Running Start students equally, meaning that unless documentation is provided, we are legally prohibited from sharing your FERPA protected information with others.

Disclosure of information from confidential educational records is limited to the eligible student or to others: 

  1. To whom the eligible student releases the records.
  2. Who have a legitimate educational interest.
  3. Who are entitled or permitted to know the content of the records by virtue of one or more FERPA exceptions.

Parents and guardians are encouraged to talk to their students about their academic progress. If a parent or guardian calls our office, we cannot disclose FERPA protected information.

  • Grades
  • Test Scores
  • Social Security Numbers
  • Financial Records
  • Disciplinary Records
  • Class Schedule
  • Any identifying data other than Directory Information

Any identifying data that would be considered Directory Information:

  • Name(s) and other contact information
  • Field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards
  • Most recent previous public or private school attended by the student
  • Any other information authorized in writing by the student


If you would like your parent or guardian to be able to access your FERPA protected information, you need to fill out this form: Access can be revoked upon request.

No, students still need to make their own advising appointments. We encourage students to maintain independence in their Running Start experience as that will better ensure college readiness and success.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (a.k.a. FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) is federal legislation enacted in 1974 that sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records. It requires institutions accepting federal monies to protect the privacy of student information. FERPA applies to all current and former students of Northwest. An institution’s failure to comply with FERPA may result in the Department of Education’s withdrawal of federal funds.

Frequently Asked Questions

When you fail a course at EWU, you can take the course again for a better grade. The most recent grade earned in the course will be given consideration on your transcript. The first instance of the course will appear on your transcript, but it will not be calculated into your final GPA.

If you want to drop a course and have no marks on your transcript, you’ll need to make sure you are doing that before the drop date. If you withdraw from a course after the drop date, you will receive a “W” grade on your transcript. While a “W” is not a negative mark, it is not in your best interest to have multiple “W” grades on a transcript.

If you have charges owed on your account, they could be from one of a few places:

  • Course/Lab Fees: These can range between $15-$60 depending on the course they are connected to.
  • Late Fees: If you do not pay the costs charged to your account after a certain amount of time, you’ll start to accrue late fees as well.
  •  All-Inclusive Textbook Charge: Some course textbooks have all-inclusive formats that are automatically charged to your account and downloaded unless you opt-out of the service. These charges can range widely in price, but are usually in the $100-$400 range.

An EagleCard is the EWU Student ID Card and it can be ordered through EagleCard Services in 120 Tawanka Hall.

There are a few different ways you can address a failing grade in a course:

  • Have a conversation with your teacher. Explain why you are having a hard time in the course and politely ask if there is any way you could get a better, passing grade or what you need to be focusing on more to be able to understand the coursework. Ask if they know of any good tutors for the subject.
  • Ask for an incomplete “XC” grade. An incomplete grade is like pushing the pause button on your failing class. If you are failing because of late work, this option is a good one to consider since it gives you a select amount of time to finish the late work and turn it in for a final grade.
  • If you feel like you are going to certainly fail a class, even after speaking to your teacher and getting some extra help, you can choose to withdraw from the class. You will need to submit a withdrawal form to our office. Once the form is approved (typically takes 3–5 days), withdraw yourself from the unwanted course. Your course will be taken down from your Canvas at that point. If you withdraw from a course, you will receive a “W” grade on your transcript. The “W” grade does not negatively affect your GPA but it does mean that you will have to retake the course if it is a required credit you need for high school.

  • Running Start Advisor: The Running Start advisor assigned to your school will help you with any registration issues, high school and college credits questions, general EWU campus questions, math and English placement surveys, adding and dropping classes, helping you get educational aid and book loan questions.
  • Running Start Front Desk: Reach out to our front desk at to turn in your EVF or general questions about Running Start, registration, application issues, technology or campus.
  • IT Help Desk: Please contact the IT Help Desk if your SSO information is lost or forgotten, EagleNet is down or if you’re having Canvas issues.
  • High School Counselor: Your high school counselor can help you with high school credit information, issues with high school classes, EVF discussion, approved credit amounts and graduation issues.

Educational Resources

Career Center

We can help you write a cover letter and resume, find internship or job opportunities and sharpen your interviewing skills.

Career Advising

Counseling & Wellness Services

Receive short-term counseling that is focused on solutions and resources, with in-person or telehealth options available.

Receive Counseling

Mathematics Tutoring

Need extra help with math? We are here to help! We offer math tutoring in several places around campus.

Extra Help with Math

PLUS Tutoring

Our peer facilitators, tutors and coaches are here to help you succeed in your courses and academic goals.

Peer-to-Peer Assistance

Student Accommodations & Support Services

We coordinate accommodations so every student can receive an equal opportunity to learn and participate in campus life.

Here to Help

Writers' Center

We collaborate with writers at any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming to polishing final drafts.

Schedule an Appointment

Student Organizations

Multicultural Center

EWU is home to over 130 student organizations that provide members with opportunities to develop as leaders, network with campus and community resources and develop a support system while at EWU.

Identity-Based Clubs & Orgs

Pride Center

We support LGBTQIA+ students and the greater EWU community through advocacy and empowerment, providing community space, delivering programs and events and facilitating trainings and workshops.

Connect with Us


We provide engagement opportunities that promote a transformational journey of self-discovery through student organizations and clubs, with the exception of EWU Athletics and Greek Life.

Get Involved

Graduating Seniors: Finish What You Started!

Since you were a previous Running Start student, then you do not need to apply to EWU!

Since you already attended EWU there is no need to worry about credits not transferring or needing to submit your college transcript!

*NOTE: Running Start students continuing at EWU do not have to pay the application fee.

Priority Deadline for Fall 2024 admission: Feb 1, 2024

Final Deadline for Fall 2024 admission: Sept  2024

  1. Send your official high school transcripts to EWU Admissions at
  2. Mention in your email: “I’m a EWU Running Start student and this transcript is my undergraduate application for Fall 24.”

If you meet the minimum GPA requirement (usually 2.80) and have submitted an admissions application to EWU, you may be considered for an award.

Final Deadline: Feb 1, 2024

How to apply?

Click here for the application and other scholarship opportunities:(



Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA / WASFA by Feb 1, 2024 for the 2024-25 academic year. The FAFSA will be available sometime between December 2023 and January 1, 2024  for the next academic year.

Click here for more information about the FAFSA / WASFA:

More information can be found on financial aid can be found here: Financial Aid & Scholarships.

The Center for Academic Advising and Retention (CAAR) is where you’ll meet with an undergraduate advisor who is specialized in advising students for a special major or degree focus. For example, if you want to major in computer science, you’ll speak with a CAAR advisor who specializes in working with computer science students and their degree paths. CAAR advisors can also help you if your major is undecided.

Once you’ve been admitted and confirmed to EWU for next fall as a regular undergraduate student after high school, and beginning in mid- to late April, you can check your email for an invitation to a CAAR Onboarding and Registration Session for fall.


Congratulations on continuing your education at Eastern Washington University!

You can confirm your acceptance here and follow the admitted steps!


Follow these steps to continue on at EWU for the remainder of your undergraduate degree or college experience and to ensure that you are considered for most new student scholarships.

Graduating Seniors: Not Continuing at EWU

  1. Log into EagleNet using your SSO.
  2. Choose “Student.”
  3. Choose the “Student Records” dropdown.
  4. Choose “Order Official Transcript.”
  5. Send a digital version of the official transcript to the admissions office of the college where you’re applying.

Speak with the other college or university, prior to the end of your senior year in high school, to confirm your desire to transfer.

Apply to the other college or university.

If you decide to continue your education at a different college or university, you will need to do a few things to prepare yourself for the transition.