How to Support Your Student During Midterms
We are mid-way through the Spring Quarter!
May 3, 2023
It’s a well-known fact on EWU’s campus that Spring Quarter flies by. Between finding a summer job or internship, midterms and finals, and all of the end-of-year events, students (and staff!) often feel that there aren’t enough hours in the day. Plus with the weather turning nicer, motivation can be harder to come by.
As a family member, you can help your student stay motivated to push through the rest of the quarter. Here are some friendly tips to encourage your Eagle during midterms:
- Communication: allowing your student to vent about the big paper they have due next week can actually be really therapeutic for them. Allow this opportunity by asking how they’re feeling about midterms, what is stressing them out the most, and reminding them to take it one day at a time.
- Words of Encouragement: If your Eagle is struggling in class, remind them to connect with their professor sooner rather than later. This could mean sending an email, having a quick conversation after class, or visiting them during office hours! These can be intimidating endeavors, so helping your student run through what they are going to say might be helpful for them.
- Self Care: Encourage your student to prioritize their wellbeing, especially when things get busy. Going for a walk as a study break, eating a meal with friends, and doing things they love are all ways that will help them re-focus on their school work.
- Rely on Your Intuition: You know your Eag better than anyone! If something feels off- ask them! Remind them of the on campus resources available at EWU when they’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
- Care Packages: Brighten your student’s day with a handwritten note or a care package.
The end of the Quarter is in sight and summer is near!
You might also like...
Find EWU faculty and staff who are experts in diverse subjects.