Success after Graduation: CPP Degrees in the Real World
The College of Professional Programs (CPP) is dedicated to supporting students transitioning into college, throughout their time at EWU, and after graduation.
Many parents and family members want to know that when their child goes to college, that the degree they receive will help them land a job. We would like to provide new students and their families with information from our graduates about their degree program, current job, and opportunities for work in their field of study and beyond.
We had the chance to check-in with recent EWU graduates Daniel and Haley and see what they are doing now, and how they are applying what they learned in their degree program at Eastern to the real world. Here’s what they had to say:
- Daniel Garcia – Graduated June 2021
- Majored in: Finance, with a minor in Economics
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- Current Job: Business Relationship Manager for JPMorgan Chase Bank in Spokane, WA
Daniel had plenty to share about how EWU supported him throughout school with training and educational opportunities:
“The training that is worth taking advantage of are the tutoring classes, study groups, internships, and in-class workshops. EWU has a unique quality of 1:1 attention you get from the faculty and staff. Eastern has the resources for students to succeed but you have to seek and utilize them!”. Daniel now sits on the EWU Alumni Association Board.
When asked what his advice to students and families would be, Daniel shared some great insight:
Advice for Students:
“EWU wants you to be successful! It is up to you to decide whether you are willing to find the help and ask for it. The Eastern community is here to empower you, guide you, and most importantly help you believe in yourself. That is something you will carry beyond your time at Eastern and will pay in dividends.”
Advice for Parents:
“Take it from a former student who left home at 18 as a first generation student. You have to encourage your child that EWU is here to nurture and develop every kid that walks through our campus. It is important to advise them [sic] that they will need to take action and seek help when needed”
- Haley Sando – Graduated June 2022
- Majored in: Children’s Studies (Child Services concentration) with a minor in Psychology
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Children’s Studies
- Current Job: Working for the Washington Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) in the Child Protective Services unit.
- Continuing Education: Enrolled in the EWU Master of Social Work (MSW) program
Haley shared with us some of her experiences as a student at Eastern, and the educational opportunities that prepared her for her current career and degree track:
“When I first started at EWU I honestly had no idea what path I was going to take. I was very thankful for the academic advisors who really helped to guide my passions and get me into a program that best fit me. The classes I took in my program really helped prepare me for finding the right career. I am currently a graduate student at EWU getting my Master’s in Social Work and a member of the CWTAP (Child Welfare Training and Advancement Program) program as well. I really love the environment of the college at Eastern and learn new things every day that I can now apply to my work as well.”
When asked what advice she has to share with families and specifically students or prospective students, she provided some great information:
“I would recommend finding an entry level job somewhere in the field that you are wanting to work in while attending college. I worked in child care and also interned with an Independent Living program. Having this experience on top of my degree really helped prepare me for applying and getting hired in jobs I wanted. Getting some of that experience in the field is definitely very beneficial in making some of those life changing decisions that will carry you after college. The best advice I have is to really soak up everything you can and know that you have the ultimate choice of your future. You can create whatever life you want by making some of these small steps, and EWU is such a great place to do that!”
Thank you Daniel and Haley for sharing your experiences at EWU! They have provided the following EWU resource links for you to explore.
Resource Links from Alumni:
Career Center: https://inside.ewu.edu/careercenter/
Student Employment: https://inside.ewu.edu/student-employment/
New Student Advising: https://inside.ewu.edu/newstudentadvising/
Internship Guide: https://inside.ewu.edu/careercenter/internship
Here is a list of potential career pathways for students in CPP programs:
- Addiction Studies: Counselor, Detox Specialist, Prevention Specialist, Substance Use Disorder Professional
- Business: Global Supply Chain Coordinator, Compensation Analyst, Human Resource Manager, Recruiter, Marketing Manager, Social Media Manager, Management Analyst, Data Analyst, Retail Manager, Small Business Owner
- Children’s Studies: Adoption Counselor, After-School Program Director, Child & Family Support Specialist, Child Life Specialist, Juvenile Justice Worker
- Disability Studies: Developmental Disabilities Case Manager, Director of Disability Services, Researcher, Direct Support Professional, Special Education Teacher
- Education: Early Childhood Teacher, Special Education Teacher, Elementary, Middle, or High School Teacher, Adult Literacy Teacher, Principal, Postsecondary Teacher, Instructional Coordinator, School and Career Counselor.
- Professional Accounting: Certified Public Accountant, Accountant, Auditor, Chief Financial Officer, Accounts Payable Specialist
- Psychology: Counselor, Forensic Psychologist, Case Manager, Sports Psychologist, School and Adolescent Psychologist, School Psychologist
- Social Work: Community Outreach Worker, Human Services Specialist, Juvenile Court Liaison, Probation Officer, Rehabilitation Case Worker
College of Professional Programs
121 Senior Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
You might also like...
Find EWU faculty and staff who are experts in diverse subjects.