Financial Aid Application Checklist
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) is available starting October 1. Students will use tax information from the previous year and should complete their application as soon as possible by Feb. 1 to be considered for the most financial aid.
Complete Your FAFSA (or WASFA)
Tip: Check basic eligibility requirements to determine which financial aid application you should complete. Students unable to file a FAFSA may qualify to complete the WASFA. WASFA applicants can skip to step 3 after completing the application. View resources for WASFA applicants.
- Complete the financial aid application by February 1 for the correct academic year to receive the best financial aid offer. FAFSA or WASFA submissions received after February 1 are still considered, but awards are made on a funds-available basis and late applicants may not receive all the aid for which they might otherwise qualify.
- When you apply to the FASFA, use EWU’s school code: 003775.
Review your Student Aid Report (FASFA Applicants)
Log in to studentaid.gov using your FSA ID and password to:
- Check your financial aid application status
- View your Student Aid Report (SAR) information*
- Correct your application data
- Electronically sign your applications
Parents can also use their FSA ID and password to sign their student’s financial aid applications electronically.
*Your Student Aid Report (SAR) is available for viewing approximately three days after you complete and submit your application. Review your SAR and make any necessary corrections. Keep a copy for your records; we will receive an electronic copy if you listed EWU as one of the receiving schools.
Respond to Your Financial Aid Offer
After your file is complete, you will receive an email from our office directing you to view your financial aid offer on EagleNET. Follow the steps outlined in the email to accept or reject each type of aid offered. If we do not hear from you, the offer may be subject to cancellation. You will be notified of all subsequent award revisions via your EWU student e-mail account or by paper if you have not yet confirmed your intent to enroll.
If you are awarded a Federal Direct Loan or Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), additional steps are necessary to obtain these loans.
Respond to Verification Requests
Approximately thirty percent of all applications are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are selected, the EWU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office are required to verify the information submitted on your application. Respond immediately to requests for additional information.
Receive Financial Aid Funds
- Your financial aid will first be applied to any outstanding university charges.
- Any remaining funds will be disbursed to you on or after the first day of each term. You can receive your remaining funds by 1) direct deposit to a bank account or 2) by check sent to your mailing address on file with EWU. A check will automatically be mailed if you do not select direct deposit. You may update your address at any time in EagleNET.
Additional financial aid disbursement information is available in the Aid Offer Instructions section.