This scholarship is awarded specifically to an upcoming senior who is a female English major in either Literary Studies or English Secondary Education. In addition to academic merit, the Colton-Huston Scholarship considers financial need. The scholarship is based upon current tuition rates. Based on tuition, the scholarship is awarded per quarter. Once awarded, this scholarship can be renewed for a total of three consecutive quarters. Thus, 2017, based on partial need, $1,400 was awarded; in 2018 $860 was awarded, and in 2020, the total award was split between two deserving students, one of whom received $2,700, and the other who received $4,400.
- An application letter that identifies and discusses the following items:
- The applicant’s area of interest and reasons for interest
- The courses to be taken
- Why the degree is desired
- The role of the degree in the applicant’s future
- Why the scholarship is needed
- A 2,000- to 3,000-word critical essay written for one of the applicant’s junior-level literature classes that provides clear evidence that the applicant is both a good writer and a thoughtful and critical reader
- A completed copy of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file at EWU’s Financial Aid Office
- A minimum of two recent letters of recommendation from English professors that address the applicant’s reasoning, writing, and reading abilities and the candidate’s ability to successfully complete the degree.
If no applicant meets the criteria, no award will be granted.