What can I do with my degree?
Occupational Therapy (OT) is a health and rehabilitation profession helping people of all ages who might be experiencing a physical, cognitive or emotional impairment to participate more fully in their day-to-day lives.
Occupations are everyday tasks that people of all ages do to look after themselves (activities of daily living), to enjoy life (leisure/play), and to contribute to the social and economic fabric of their communities and the world (productivity/work). As an important determinant of health and well being, occupation brings meaning, purpose, choice, and satisfaction to individuals depending on their life phase, culture, and social experience. Occupation as a basic human need also serves to organize a person’s time and behavior in daily life.
Skilled services an Occupational Therapist may provide:
- Adapt home, work, school and play environments
- Teach adapted techniques for greater independence in self care, home care and work performance
- Consult with businesses on ergonomic procedures to prevent worker injuries
- Provide assistive technology, including the use of animals, for increased independence at home, work or school
- Help people gain greater self-esteem and confidence through activities
- Develop and run a private therapy business
- Teach and conduct research at a college or university
- Provide neuro-rehabilitation for return to productive lives
The American Occupational Therapy Association – Vision 2025
As an inclusive profession, occupational therapy maximizes health, well-being, and quality of life for all people, populations, and communities through effective solutions that facilitate participation in everyday living.
- Effective: Occupational therapy is evidence based, client centered, and cost-effective.
- Leaders: Occupational therapy is influential in changing policies, environments, and complex systems.
- Collaborative: Occupational therapy excels in working with clients and within systems to produce effective outcomes.
- Accessible: Occupational therapy provides culturally responsive and customized services.
- Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity: We are intentionally inclusive and equitable and embrace diversity in all its forms.
American Occupational Therapy Association. (2017). Vision 2025. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71, 7103420010. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2017.713002 Retrieved on 5/10/2019 from https://www.aota.org/AboutAOTA/vision-2025.aspx