Frequently Asked Questions


Answers to many frequently asked questions at the Graduate Student level can be found here.

If you are not finding the answer you need below, please contact the Graduate Programs Office at for further assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I’m applying before I’ve graduated?
To be considered for admission, you will need to provide a complete academic record which is current at the time of your application. If you are admitted, we will need an official transcript with your degree posted. (Some international students may need to send us an official copy of their diploma or degree certificates.)

What types of programs are offered?
Two different types of programs are offered at the Graduate level at EWU: Graduate Degrees (which result in a master’s degree and are between 36 – 108 credits), and Graduate Certificates (a shorter term of study in a specialized topic area and are between 12 – 32 credits). Each degree program and each certificate program has their own individual application, so be sure you have selected the correct type of program before you submit your application. 

How long is an application valid?
Your application is valid for the specific program and term in which you submitted it. 

What if I previously applied to a Graduate Program?
Application materials are kept for 2 years. But you will have to fill out and submit another application once your original application is one year old. If you are applying to a different program, you will also need to fill out an application for the new program. 

Are there any special instructions for McNair Scholars?
Complete the online graduate application, but do not submit it. (Submitting it requires paying an application fee.) Email with the subject line: McNair Scholar. Attached an official McNair letter/waiver from your program director (signed) showing your participation in the McNair Scholars Program. State that you have completed the online application. Include the name of the program you are applying to. You will be provided a coupon code to apply to your application when submitting it in the CAS system.

Will you be an F1-Visa student who will not be applying to an online accelerated program?
Visit our International Graduate Student application instruction page. 

Application Fee Waivers: 

Can my application fee be waived?
A McNair scholar may receive a waiver, otherwise a student’s application fee will not be waived, deferred, or refunded for any reason. The application fee must be paid before the application will be processed.

I have already paid an application fee. Do I have to pay it again if applying to another program or reapplying?
Yes. You will have to submit an application fee every time you apply to a graduate program (excluding the dual programs:  MBA/MPA, MPA/MURP, MPA/MSW, MBA/MPAcc). Only one fee is assessed for dual-degree applicants. Transcripts that have been submitted may be used for other programs. To see if you are eligible for a fee waiver for adding a secondary program, reference the chart in Step 2 on our Apply page for Graduate Students.

Who do I talk to about my FAFSA?
The FAFSA covers fall through summer term of a year. Example: the 2022-23 FAFSA is for Fall 2022 to Summer 2023. For questions about your FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Department:

     Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
     333 Eagle LN
     102 Sutton Hall
     Cheney, WA 99004
     Phone: 509.359.2314 | Fax: 509.359.4330 | Email:
     Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
     Phone Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

How many credits do I need to be considered full-time?
Full-time is eight credits. Students may be eligible for financial aid at four credits. Graduate Student Appointments (GSA)s are eligible at two or more credits. If they are taking less than eight credits, they need to inform the department so they can properly advise you.

What are the program’s admission requirements?
Each program will have separate requirements. Please visit the program’s webpage for application requirements.
To explore various graduate programs, visit our Graduate Programs Explorer tool.

What do you mean by “official” transcripts?
For our purposes, “official” means sent directly from the issuing office to our receiving office. This definition comes from the policies of Eastern Washington University and cannot be petitioned. We judge transcripts to be official if:

  • Transcripts should be sent directly to either BusinessCAS or GradCAS. 

If for some reason transcripts are sent to EWU:

  • Transcripts arrive to us in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution.
  • Transcripts arrive to us via a secured electronic transcript exchange program, National Clearing House, Parchment Services, or CTC from the undergrad office. 
  • Transcripts arrive to us in an envelope sealed by a US State Department sponsored organization (e.g. USEF), and are attested by that organization.

The United States government considers educational records to be federally protected and private. We cannot obtain your records unless you arrange for them to be sent to us.

What if I can’t obtain an official transcript?
If your institution will not release your transcript because of a financial, disciplinary, or academic hold, you will need to work with your institution to resolve the issue.

Where do official transcripts need to be sent?

  • Current and Former EWU Students: EWU already has your transcript. 
  • For a CAS application (GradCAS or BusinessCAS): Follow the directions in the application portal. If you send your transcripts to the Graduate Programs Office, these will be uploaded manually to your CAS application. They will not say “received” on your CAS application. 
  • Your transcripts will be delayed if you send them to the EWU Office of Admissions. Do not send your transcripts for a graduate application to the EWU Office of Admissions. This office is separate from the Graduate Programs Office and will impact the arrival of your transcript.

If I send transcripts, references, or other application materials ahead of time, how long will you keep it on file before discarding them?

  • Official transcripts 2 years
  • Official test scores 2 years

Can the GRE or GMAT be waived?
The requirement for graduate students to take the GRE or GMAT exam is department or program specific. 

The MBA graduate program will waive the GMAT if your last 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits are ≥3.0 GPA.

Please contact the program to inquire whether the GRE is required. In very rare circumstances, a GRE has been waived, typically when a GRE score has been on file but is older than the five (5) year limit or when a master’s degree (which required a GRE) has been earned by the applicant.

Can recommendation letters be from anyone?
Not necessarily. Applicants are encouraged to get their references from professors, supervisors and applicable colleagues when possible. References from friends and family are usually not acceptable.

Can an English language proficiency test requirement be waived for international applicants?
No. All international graduate applicants to EWU are required to take an English language proficiency exam, except for those who have earned a college degree from the United States or another native English-language school or institution.

What are the application deadlines?
Deadlines vary from department to department; contact the program to which you are applying for specific deadlines. International applications should be submitted approximately six months prior to the start of the intended term to allow for the necessary admission documentation and issuance of an I-20. Online accelerated program deadlines can be found at Online accelerated programs are fully online. Students in fully online programs do not need to be in the U.S. to study.

You can also check out the Academic Calendar for other deadlines and academic dates concerning Quarter Students, Semester Students, and Online Accelerated Students.  

Making changes to the application after submission to a GradCAS/BusinessCAS application?
You can make limited changes after you submit your application including: editing your contact information, editing your profile information; adding programs with deadlines that have not yet passed; editing or deleting recommendations that remain incomplete; adding new test scores; experiences, achievements or certifications (you are unable to delete existing entries); editing program materials for applications you have not submitted to. You can update recommendations with “new” or “in-progress” statuses or select additional programs to apply to.

When will I hear if I have been admitted or denied?

  • Online accelerated MBA and MED applicants will need to: First check your application account for the most up-to-date information. The amount of time it takes to hear about the decision varies by department. Check with the department you have applied to find out how they handle admissions.
  • For applicants who filled out an application on GradCAS/BusinessCAS: You will receive notice in the CAS portal as to your admission status.

What was the reason I was denied admission?
For specific reasons, contact the graduate director or graduate advisor in that department.

How do I know if I have been given a Graduate Student Appointment position (GSA)?
Please check in with your program’s advisor.

EWU offers three different types of GSA positions: 

Graduate Teaching Assistant (TA)
A teaching assistantship (TA) is an appointment in which a graduate student’s primary duty is teaching or serving as a teaching assistant. The TA may assist faculty in teaching undergraduate courses and labs, grading examinations, problem sets, or lab assignments, setting up displays for lectures and labs, or preparing or maintaining laboratory equipment. TAs are available to qualify graduate students in academic departments. Students should contact their department/program to inquire about TA opportunities.

Graduate Research Assistant (RA)
A research assistantship (RA) is an appointment in which a graduate student is engaged in research under a faculty member’s supervision. The faculty member is generally a principal investigator on a grant or contract. RAs are available in many departments and special programs. Students should contact their department/program to inquire about RA opportunities.

Graduate Staff Assistant (SA)
A staff assistantship (SA) is an appointment in which a graduate student engages in service that enhances their educational pursuits at EWU. The SA provides academic and administrative program support for units such as McNair, CAMP, Global Services, and other student services offices. 

Can I move my start term back?
To ensure that students are fully prepared to start strong in their online accelerated program, students are not allowed to move their start term back in time. Example: if you apply to start in summer, you cannot move the application to start in spring.

How do I register for a class if I’m not admitted into a graduate program yet?
You must be admitted to a graduate program and confirm your admission to register for a class. If you are not in a graduate program, you may be admitted as a non-degree seeking student. The graduate non-degree application is located in the Graduate tab “How to Apply for Graduate Admission” web page under “Choose Your Application” Non-Degree tab

How do I know what to register for?
All online accelerated programs usually have program plans available. Contact the advisor of your program for more information about your program plan.

I received a Registration Error and am unable to register. Who can help me?
If you get a registration error, you can view more information about how to resolve that error on the Records and Registration Errors and Holds webpage.

Can I temporarily take a break from my program and come back later?
If you have already completed a quarter or more of your program, yes. Students have 6 years to complete their chosen program. Any student who has already completed a quarter or more of course work and who may need to step away from course work for a while can do so. There is no action required at the time of stepping away. When you are ready to return, please fill out the Reactivation Form.

How do I withdraw from my program?
If you are enrolled in classes, but want to completely cancel your enrollment, please withdraw from your program by completing the following steps:
(1) Fill out the “Complete Withdrawal” form on Records and Registration web page

(2) Email the Graduate Programs Office at and let us know from what program you are withdrawing.

Is Graduate Housing Available?
Housing is available to all EWU students, undergraduate and graduate alike. Housing and Residential Life provides flexible apartment options for graduate students, returning students, transfer students, and students over the age of 21. Graduate students may find they have an easier time finding apartment housing at the beginning of the academic calendar year compared with other times of the year. You can find more information at the housing site or by calling Housing and Residential Life at (509) 359-2451 or email at

Masters of Business Administration:
MBA students are ineligible for certificate programs that match their concentration. Example: If a student were to obtain an MBA with a Health Services Administration concentration, they would be unable to obtain the Health Services Administration Certificate. 

Student Accommodations and Support Services (SASS):
Student Accommodations and Support Services at Eastern Washington University is a combination of the Student Care Team and Disability Support Services. We are here to serve students who may be struggling with personal challenges and/or obstacles. The SASS team is here to help coordinate the care and resources students need to overcome barriers to their personal and academic success. We promote equal opportunity for all students and can provide crisis care, case management, and appropriate and reasonable accommodations on an individual basis. Our goal is to empower students to gain the skills and support they need so that they can be independent; allowing them to complete their program of study while being as self-reliant as possible and making their time at EWU a positive experience. Visit their website to get connected with their services: Student Accommodations and Support Services

What do I need to do ahead of graduation?

  1. Check Your Degree Audit: Check your degree audit with Degree Works to ensure you are on track to complete all necessary courses. Have all substitutions marked. If you have  any X, Y or XC grades, they will need to be changed before the end of your graduating term. 
  2. Check the Graduation Application Deadline: Look at the Academic Calendar to make sure you haven’t missed the graduation application deadline for your intended graduation term.
  3. Apply to Graduate: Once you have reviewed your degree audit, you will need to apply to graduate in order to be eligible for your degree. To apply for graduation, log into EagleNET. Under your ‘Student Record’ tab click Apply to Graduate. You will need to apply to graduate in order to be eligible for your degree or certificate.

For more information about getting ready for graduation, check out our Steps to Graduation page.

What do I need to do ahead of my Thesis requirement?
If you have a Thesis requirement, check out our Graduate Thesis page.

I can’t login to my Single-Sign On account. How can I get my password reset?
The IT Help Desk can help you reset your password. Call them up at 509-359-2247 or email them at

What email address is used as official correspondence between a student and EWU?
The personal email listed on your application is valid until you are recommended for and accept your offer for admission. After you confirm our offer of admission, your EWU email is the only preferred email we will contact. The EWU email address assigned to you will not work until after you have confirmed your placement in your program.

Is there a place to find answers to common IT questions on the website?
The IT department has it’s own repository of answers to questions you may have about accessing certain EWU systems. Check out their Knowledge Base on their Help Desk page.