One Room School House

About

The One Room School House, formally known as the Jore School, was found in the woods near Newport, Washington and restored with care and attention to historical accuracy. The School House represents EWU’s beginnings in 1890 as the first institution in Washington for teacher instruction.

Since opening to the campus and public in 2004, over 5000 visitors have crossed through the doors and at the start of each school year, a bell-ringing ceremony is held. Tours and field trips are offered by the Education Department upon request.

Request Now

Our Mission

The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center will be used as an educational museum to embrace Eastern Washington University’s heritage as a teacher preparation institution. The museum will be open for educational tours to schoolchildren and to the general public. In addition, the building will serve as:

  • A place where seminars and presentation are conducted related to the history and development of education in the Inland Empire.
  • A center for local and regional history where teachers, scholars and community members can share, record and preserve traditions, stories, and records of the past.
  • A permanent location to house and display historical one-room schoolhouse artifacts.

Request Guided Tour