- Future Students
Costs and Academics
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Administration & Business
- Alumni & Friends
Friends of EWU
We are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.
216 Kingston Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Math Placement Test (APTP)
The Academic Placement Testing Program (APTP) sponsors the Math Placement Test (MPT) initiated in January 1984 and it is offered at the five public universities in Washington. The purpose of APTP MPT is to place students into an entry level mathematics course at their respective universities. Note: EWU cannot accept scores from a COMPASS or ASSET Math Placement Test.
Who is REQUIRED to take the APTP MPT?
Students admitted to EWU without satisfaction of at least one of the APTP MPT Exceptions listed below or approved Direct Transfer Degree are required to take the APTP Math Placement Test before math course registration.
APTP MPT Exceptions?
When a student satisfied or will satisfy at least one of the following exceptions they are not required to take the APTP Math Placement Test: (1) their official transcript indicates a minimum 2.0 grade in an Intermediate Algebra or higher level math course from a post-secondary institution (*refer below to Transfer Guide link); 2) they officially reported to EWU their minimum score of 3 on the College Board Advanced Placement Test for AB or BC Calculus and/or Statistics (**refer below to the Transferrable Credit link); 4) they officially reported to EWU their qualifying CLEP Course score (**refer below); or (5) they will enroll in a pre-university basic skills math course, such as MTHD 103.
Note: Students with a testing exception may be required to take an APTP MPT when an appropriate score is required to fulfill their "Lack of Course Prerequisite Hold" for registration in a specific course.
References: *To view EWU's Transfer Guide/policies click on the following link: TRANSFER GUIDE .
**To view College Board AP Calculus or Statistics & CLEP test score information click on the link: TRANSFERABLE CREDIT .
Where is the APTP MPT held and how do I pre-register for a test session?
At EWU Cheney Campus the APTP Math Placement Test is administered to examinees in group sessions regularly held by the Department of Mathematics. To view a schedule of APTP MPT Sessions at EWU and our test session pre-registration instructions click on link: APTP MPT Sessions at EWU.
Note: An examinee who will test at EWU during regular test session and has a documented disability requiring special testing accommodation will need to contact the EWU Disability Support Services Office located in Tawanka Hall 124 at (509) 359-6871 or (http://www.ewu.edu/x2336.xml) to pre-arrange with them test proctoring for a test session to be held by the Department of Mathematics.
In addition, STATEWIDE APTP MPT Sessions (Hosted by University of Washington) will be held from May - June 2013 in locations for student required to test for the first time before their orientation/registration at EWU. To determine if a new student is exempt from taking an APTP Math Placement Test please refer above to section on "APTP MPT Exceptions", as follows: (http://www.ewu.edu/mathplacement). To view UW's Schedule of Statewide APTP MPT sessions held throughout Washington; Boise, Idaho; Anchorage, Alaska; and/or Honolulu, Hawaii and test session pre-registration information please click on the link below ( http://www.washington.edu/oea/services/aptp/dates.html).
When the STATEWIDE APTP MPT session is closed or inconvenient please refer below to view a Schedule of test sessions regularly held at a public universities in the State of Washington. Note: APTP MPT sessions will be held at EWU for new Freshman and Transfer students on the day before First STEP Orientation dates and to view this Schedule click on link below.
- Eastern Washington University at Cheney Campus: Schedule of APTP MPT Sessions at EWU.
Note: The MPT fee is $25 at EWU for testing during a regulary scheduled test session and student's score is generally entered on the same day of their test session.
- University of Washington in Seattle: APTP MPT at UW.
*Note: When you will test at UW pay their MPT Fee to them instead of EWU;
- Washington State University - Branch Campuses APTP MPT at WSU-Tri Cities.
*Note: When you will test at WSU pre-pay their MPT Fee to them instead of EWU; or
- Western Washington University in Bellingham: APTP MPT at WWU-Bellingham.
*Note: When you will test at WWU pay their MPT Fee to them instead of EWU.
About the APTP Math Placement Test at EWU?
Before the test session you need to decide what type of APTP math placement test you will take. This decision is based on your mathematics background and math course(s) you are required to pass for your major or area of interest. There are several types of the mathematics placement test that are decribed below.
- GENERAL test has 35 questions from the topics of Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, & Precalculus I (topics from Algebra I and II in the High School). At EWU this test type may place you into MTHD 103 (default), MTHD 104, MATH 114, 105, 115, 200, 211 or 311.
- ADVANCED test has 30 questions from the topics of Intermediate Algebra & Precalculus I & II. At EWU this test type may place you into MATH 105, 106, 115, 200, 311, 380, or 161. Placing into MATH 161 will meet the Mathematics Reasoning Proficiency Requirement for non-math related majors. If examinee's Advanced MPT score is below the minimum, then result is no math course placement and retest is required to identify their math course placement. Note: APTP MPT examinee who placed into MATH 105 or MATH 106 and earned grades of A or B in high school Precalculus or grade of A or B in high school Calculus and graduated or will graduate from high school within the last year may qualify for special placement consideration. To determine the examinee's elgibility for this policy please click on the following link: Math 106 or 161 Enrollment Exception Policy.
Where do I obtain APTP MPT Practice Problems & Objectives and APTP MPT Cut-Off-Scores Chart?
- To prepare for the math placement test type you will take we recommend an examinee works on a set of sample test practice problems without a calculator. To view the sample test practice problems & objectives; click on APTP MPT type link: Advanced and General Practice Problems. To print a hard copy of the sample test practice problems & objectives click on the following test type link: Advanced or General. The sample test practice problems are also available to pick up from the Department of Mathematics Office located in Kingston Hall 216.
- To view the range of scores required for math course placement click on the link: APTP MPT Cut-Off-Scores Chart.
Where do I pay the MPT Fee for regular test session at EWU Cheney Campus?
Before your test session at EWU Cheney Campus pay the $25 MPT Fee by a method below.
- EWU Students with an EagleNET account (ID#) and will test at EWU Cheney Campus pay the fee as follows: > (1) Log into EagleNET; 2) Select Pay My Bill; 3) Select a Term; 4) Select Make A Payment; and (5) Choose to Pay Optional Fees. *Note: Print your receipt and bring it with you to the test session.
- Non-EWU students who will test at EWU Cheney Campus and do not have an EWU ID# will need to pay the fee in Student Financial Services in Sutton Hall on 2nd floor.
An EWU student who lost their receipt will need to log into their EagleNET (http://eaglenet.ewu.edu) account before the test session and print another receipt. Otherwise, you will need to obtain another receipt, in person, from Student Financial Services. When a MPT Fee refund is necessary please send your request with copy of your receipt to (email@example.com).
How do I obtain my test score and determine my math course placement?
- EWU Student will need to follow these steps: (1) Log into EagleNET; Select Student; Select Student Records - Select SOAR Degree Audit; 2) Click the Request Audit button to run a New Audit; 3) Click on Run Selected Programs and select "Department" to drop down menu and select *Test Score then scroll to bottom of page and Click "Run Audit" button. (4) When audit page opens scroll toward the end and Click on words "TEST SCORES" to view score.
- Examinees without EagleNET access will need to obtain their test score by an option below.
* Bring their photo-ID card to Math Department Office 216 in Kingston Hall or Academic Advisor; or
* At least one day after the test session contact the APTP Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org phone (206) 543-8499 and request for them to send an official score report to your home.
- To determine your math course placement result find your test type & score on the APTP MPT Cut-Off Scores at EWU. When your score placed you into several math courses you should register for the course that will satisfy your general education mathematics requirement. When in doubt about what math course to take it is important to ask your Academic Advisor.
- Examinee who placed into college level math by the APTP MPT and graduated or will graduate from high school within the last year should refer to the Math 106/161 Enrollment Exception Policy for eligibility.
- Examinees who want their test result reported to a community college or university that does not participate in APTP MPT Program will need to do the following: Contact APTP Office by e-mail email@example.com or phone (206) 543-8499and ask them to mail an official score report to your home. When examinee receives their official score report they will need to submit it in the original sealed envelope to the institution they will attend. Note: The APTP Office will only send an examinee's official score report to a university particpating in their program, such as CWU, EWU, WSU, WWU, and UW.
How many times can I take the APTP MPT?
APTP MPT RETEST POLICY... An examinee may take each type of math placement test (Intermediate, General or Advanced) twice within any 12-month period; with a minimum waiting period of two-weeks between retaking the same test type. An examinee who took the Advanced test and their score was too low for math course placement at EWU may take the General when it is next offered and vice versa. Note: $25 MPT Fee payment is required for each retest.